to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC stopped while on holiday abroad

jeanette
forum member

Welfare rights - Newcastle City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 47

Clients UC has been ended and she has called UC and been advised to reclaim UC on her return to the UK and also ask for MR of the decision to stop UC. The note on her UC journal says client has moved abroad. She has not.

However she will only be out of UK for 3 weeks, it was also a complicated R2R claim which took 3 attempts and 3 months to reslove when she made her initial claim and we really want to avoid a delay.

Her father died and client asked the work coach if she was allowed to take holiday and go to her fathers funeral abroad and was told yes if it was less than a month. She has no work conditionality due to having a baby. She booked her flights for 3 weeks and was given an appointment with JC+ for a few days after her return. (Possibly to evidence that she is back in UK)

I have spoken to UC who are simply repeating the advice to make a new claim as her journal is closed, any ideas on how to proceed to get this reinstated without the whole new claim process?

Thanks

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

What’s the date of claim and what were the dates of the absence? (I’d be particularly looking at whether the absence abroad included the end of the first AP)

jeanette
forum member

Send message

Her UC claim was decided in Novemebr 2021 and eventually backdated to June 2021.

Her AP is the 7th to 6th of the month, she left UK on July 27th and is due back August 22nd

jeanette
forum member

Send message

Just to add the letter dated 1/8/22 states she cannot be paid UC from 7/7/22

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

Doesn’t make sense then. It falls squarely within temp absence rules and there must have been either mistake or miscommunication.

The remedy is MR strictly, although I would suggest raising this through escalation first. I see little point in a new claim which will just muddy the waters.

jeanette
forum member

Send message

Thank you I will try escalation in the morning, it is a mistake there were notes on her journal about her wanting to take holiday.