to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

CTR scheme for joint tenants

UB40
forum member

Debt and Welfare Advice, Community Money Advice, Launceston

Send message

Total Posts: 207

How is the calculation made by the LA for CTR where there is a joint tenancy ?The CPAG handbook (13th edition) isn’t clear.
I have a joint tenancy in 2 bed shared accomodation and the council tax bill names both tenants. Tenant one has UC LCWRA and tenant 2 has moved from UC to full time work. As they are joint tenants, non dependent calculations cannot be made.
Using Entitledto and Turn2Us I get differing results. Would their total joint liability be just 20% of the full amount after applying CTR?

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

In my experience each party will be treated as liable for half the Council Tax bill. If the scheme requires a minimum contribution of 20% I would expect the individual claiming CTR to have to pay 20% of their 50% share (10% of the total bill).
As they are joint tenants they are not non dependants.

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

Ianb - 20 July 2022 05:37 PM

In my experience each party will be treated as liable for half the Council Tax bill. If the scheme requires a minimum contribution of 20% I would expect the individual claiming CTR to have to pay 20% of their 50% share (10% of the total bill).
As they are joint tenants they are not non dependants.

the way you say the person get full CTR will have to pay 20% of their share of the bill sends shivers down my spine - we currently have a consultation open on reforming CT and CTR here in Wales

Is there any research on the levels of council tax debt for places in England that moved away from using the default old CTB scheme?

[ Edited: 21 Jul 2022 at 10:11 am by Vonny ]
Ianb
forum member

Send message

Obviously what is required by those on maximum CTR depends on the local authority and very few local authorities in England now provide 100% support for working age claimants (to their credit Bristol remains one). Some local authorities require more than 20%.

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

Ianb - 21 July 2022 05:21 PM

Obviously what is required by those on maximum CTR depends on the local authority and very few local authorities in England now provide 100% support for working age claimants (to their credit Bristol remains one). Some local authorities require more than 20%.

But how can people afford it and how much of what they need to pay goes in the extra costs of collecting CT from people who can’t afford it?

Out of interest does Bristol have the 2 child limit in theirs?  We don’t and still have family premiums and our non pensioner personal allowances weren’t frozen.

Ianb
forum member

Send message

Vonny - 22 July 2022 09:52 AM

But how can people afford it and how much of what they need to pay goes in the extra costs of collecting CT from people who can’t afford it?

Indeed.

Re children the scheme is here
https://www.bristol.gov.uk/documents/20182/34692/Bristol_CTR_scheme_2022-23.pdf

The footnote says
The number of children or young persons included in the calculation for pensioners is limited to two from 1st April 2018, subject to transitional protection. This follows the Prescribed Requirements Regulations. However, the Council has decided not to apply the two-child limit to working-age applicants. The family premium was withdrawn for pensioners from 1st May 2016 in the Prescribed Requirements Regulations, but the Council have nevertheless decided to include it for working-age applicants.

However for those on UC determination of CTR is based on the UC award so I think that if a 2 child limit applies to UC it will also effectively apply to CTR.

[ Edited: 22 Jul 2022 at 04:02 pm by Ianb ]