Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

ADP for pension age and increases to mobility component.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Attended an SSS stakeholder event on DLA transfers to ADP yesterday

I thought ADP was for working age only, but there was mention of some pension age DLA claimants to be transferred.
I had a shuffle through the regs, and I can see there are exceptions to the age rules, including for transfer cases, but can’t get my head around what they are?

Furthermore, SSS says where a pension age DLA claimant with LRM/MRM is transferred they will review the award as part of the transfer process and can increase the mobility component to a higher rate. How extensive is this, does it apply to PIP as well etc?
EDIT: Should English/Welsh pensioners with mobility needs be moving to Scotland : ) ?

[ Edited: 7 Jul 2022 at 11:01 am by Va1der ]
Greg
forum member

Money Matters Money Advice Centre, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 45

My understanding is that the DLA–ADP transfers just cut out the proverbial middle man (PIP). So the same principles apply as per the DLA 65+ cohort being ‘invited’ to apply for PIP except that it is going to be less onerous as no new application is required.

Scottish Gov have agreed to honour all existing PIP and DLA awards without further determination, so the hidden winners in this are people who have managed to stay on their lifetime/ongoing DLA.

As far as increasing mobility goes, I haven’t seen anything to say that pension-age PIP claimants will get another stab at mobility. My gut says that the DLA transitional protections have been carried over but there’s no new equivalent written in for PIP.

The new DLA transitional provisions don’t actually come into effect until 29 August (including for claimants in ‘live’ ADP areas like Lanarkshire) so unfortunately I don’t see anything written in stone protecting pension-age or working-age DLA claimants from potentially having to apply for PIP until then, aside from the alleged gentleman’s agreement that SSS have with DWP… I’m sure you’ll share my scepticism about that kind of arrangement.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Thanks Greg.

65+ DLA to PIP is one of those things that just hasn’t come across my caseload, so I wasn’t really aware of this.