Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

HMRC Tax Credit Overpayment Complaints backlog

WROtyne
forum member

Welfare rights service - Newcastle City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Hi
my client has several thousand ££ historic tax credit overpayments. During Covid he lost several close family members to Covid including his wife, her parents, his parents and sister. He is left with sole responsibility for a disabled child. He has attempted suicide himself but was found in time. I put together a letter to HMRC to ask for consideration to waive these historic overpayments given his tragic circumstances but was just sent a full breakdown of the overpayments with no narrative. I raised a formal complaint at the beginning of February 22 and this has still not been looked at. The guys on the Intermediary helpline are apologetic and raise it with managers but it’s still sat waiting. I believe I have to wait for complaint resolution before I can take it to the adjudicator. Is that still the case ? Any advice appreciated here guys. Thanks

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 291

Absolutely shocking. Have you involved the client’s MP?

WROtyne
forum member

Welfare rights service - Newcastle City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 10

My admin have just advised that they have taken a call from HMRC complaints just now who surprisingly didn’t want to speak to me but left a message saying ” re overpayments 2009/10 2013/2014 and DWP are dealing with it re overpayment and ability to repay as cant write debt off as exceptional circumstances would of had to be at the time the debts occurred.
I am speechless and fuming…not a good combination for a Friday afternoon !