Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

HB and tempoary absences outside of GB - easement for people failing to return within 4 weeks because of covid-19

JPCHC
forum member

Cardinal Hume Centre - Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 186

Hi,

I understand the Regs were never changed but the easements allowed people to continue to be entitled to HB when they were intending to return within the permitted period but couldn’t because of covid-19 travel restrictions.

Does anyone know how long the easements stayed in place? Or whether it is still arguable on this basis? I can’t seem to find an end date.

Many thanks

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

This is what was in LA Direct

2. Temporary absence from home outside Great Britain
1. We are aware that there are claimants who travelled outside Great Britain (GB), expecting to return within their allowable period of absence under the Housing Benefit regulations, but have been prevented from returning due to travel restrictions outside GB. Easements are now in place which allow people to remain entitled to HB where they have been temporarily prevented from returning to GB due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

2.. Regulation 7 of the Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 (SI 2006/213) and the Housing Benefit (persons who have attained the qualifying age for state pension credit) regulations 2006 (SI 2006/214) has not been amended. Therefore, the usual rules on not subletting and having an intention to return still continue to apply to any period of temporary absence.

3. If you have any questions about this article you can email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

LA Welfare Direct 6/2020

I’d say that if your client can show they were unable to return to the UK due to Covid-related travel restrictions, then they could try to argue the above should still be considered but would imagine that any refusal to consider couldn’t be appealed as it’s an entirely discretionary decision.

nanrod
forum member

Wheatley Homes Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Is there any such easement for UC cases in same position?