to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Disability Premiums and UC

EmmaB
forum member

A4U Shrewsbury

Send message

Total Posts: 8

I have a support worker who is asking for advice for one of her clients and I wondered if any of you with more experience of UC could offer any thoughts.  The client is on IB JSA and gets SDP = £69.40, Enhanced DP = £17.75 and DP = £36.20 in addition to his JSA and he is also on PIP.  He has care hours from the local council and support from care staff and he has also got SMI so has no council tax liability.  The client has had the odd couple of jobs before but his health has worsened and his care support has had to increase so apparently pressure is being out on the client to take the first available job which is unlikely to be suitable and fit in with his support package.  Will he lose all of his disability premiums if he asks to be put on UC - from my understanding he would be unlikely to be put into the LCWRA group but would get LCW.

fraz
forum member

Perth CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Hi
The SDP and disability premiums would become a transitional SDP element on the universal credit (UC) claim.
The transitional SDP element is likely £285 a month from the information provided and will be reduced overtime, as benefits are uprated the element will be reduced.
The client could then undertake the work capability assessment.

Further details are at https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/conversion-of-transitional-sdp-amount-into-universal-credit-transitional-element

EmmaB
forum member

A4U Shrewsbury

Send message

Thanks for the reply :)

Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 134

Is Emma’s case not ‘Natural Migration’ in which case the service-user would not keep all his disability premiums?

Jim

EmmaB
forum member

A4U Shrewsbury

Send message

From my (limited) understanding it would be natural migration but gets some protection as he is in receipt of SDP at the time of the new claim for UC. 

What I can’t understand is that he is currently getting £123.32 in disability premiums per week which works out at £534.51 per month which is a lot higher than the £285 amount he would get initially before he goers through the WCA?

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

The figure is lower than what he currently gets as it only covers the sdp but not the edp or dp
It is amazing how he has remained on JSA for so long.  Also if he gets lwra on UC after claiming it will reduce the sdp transitional protection.

EmmaB
forum member

A4U Shrewsbury

Send message

I see, so the transitional protection only covers some of the disability premiums.  It is a miracle he has been on JSA for so long - from what the support worker says he would like to work part time and within his care support needs and has had the occasional job but none have been long lasting.
Thanks for the reply