to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

child tax cr new claims ???

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 306

My client is getting CTC, she is married but very recently separated, I know the ctc award ends when she reports her separation but can she make a fresh claim in her own name as a single person now ???, she gets esa high rate, her savings preclude UC

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

You can’t make a new claim for tax credits. What you are proposing is a new claim for tax credits, so it isn’t possible.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Just in case this is a trial separation or similar: tax credits to a married couple can continue during periods of temporary separation.

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 306

Thanks Jon and Elliot, the trial separation idea looks attractive, I wonder how long HMRC will let them tale to decide

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

See Married Couples and Civil Partners here https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-credits/guidance/how-do-tax-credits-work/understanding-living-together/#Married%20couples%20and%20Civil%20Partners

“Two people who are married or civil partners will always be classed as a couple for tax credits purposes unless:

(a) they are separated under a court order; or

(b) they are separated in circumstances in which the separation is likely to be permanent.”

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Important to note that if you try the trial separation route it is still a couple claim and therefore their finances are still linked. It is not possible to make a claim as a single claimant.