Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Children and childcare  →  Thread

Child DLA for allergies

CAWS2021
forum member

Citizens Advice West Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Hi

I’m supporting a person to appeal their DLA refusal. Their child who is 2 years old suffers from severe and quite extreme allergies. They require supervision and treatment (cream etc) regularly throughout the day and night, so arguably have night time care needs.

I have had a look for case law to support the case, but have been unable to find any specific to allergies. I will therefore broaden my search horizon to look at night time needs, substantially in excess etc.  I appreciate it is a bit unusual, but can anyone give me a steer as to how to approach the appeal and likelihood of success?

Thanks

[ Edited: 25 Jan 2022 at 03:40 pm by CAWS2021 ]
Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

I would just focus on the amount of attention - as in the treatment and supervision - as in trying to prevent reactions that the child needs that a child without this illness/disability would not need.  This treatment would not be needed by a child without this condition so the resulting care is substantially in excess of the attention and supervision required for a child without the condition.  Just focus on this especially due to the child’s age.

CAWS2021
forum member

Citizens Advice West Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Thank you! Your advice is much appreciated. Upon doing some more digging, I have also come to that conclusion.