× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Research into the experiences of claiming and receiving benefits of people affected by a mental health issue

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

Request from Ava, a PhD student at King’s College London -

My name is Ava and I am a PhD student at King’s College London conducting research into the experiences of claiming and receiving a UK Government benefit of people affected by a mental health issue within the boroughs of Croydon, Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham.

We would like find out about whether people feel supported in terms of 1) their mental health 2) their communication with the benefit system and claiming of benefits and 3) finding and maintaining work. This project aims to help in understanding the barriers and facilitators of applying for and receiving benefits, finding and keeping work, and the support required and received around managing mental health issues.

The study involves completing a brief pre-interview demographics questionnaire, and attending an audio-only, one to one interview via telephone or a Microsoft Teams call lasting between 60-90 minutes. An initial screening call will be required to ensure you meet the study inclusion criteria before taking part. You will receive a £20 high street voucher for participation in this study as a thank you for your time and contribution.

You may be able to take part if all of the following apply to you:

- You are aged between 18 and 65.
- You are not retired.
- You have previously been or are currently receiving a Government benefit due to mental health issues.
- You have received support for mental health issues at any time from medical professionals beyond a GP within the London boroughs of Croydon, Lambeth, Southwark or Lewisham.
- You started receiving a Government benefit before the Covid-19 Pandemic in March 2020. 

If you, or someone you’re in contact with, are interested in taking part or have any questions, please contact me: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)