Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Children and childcare  →  Thread

Adoption Allowance and UC

VRW
forum member

Livin Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 61

Hi Guys

i think i know the answer to this reading CPAG but wondered if anyone has experienced this in practice

I have a tenant that receives Adoption allowance from LA for her adopted daughter due to her health. previously she had been in receipt of IS however this appears to have stopped when she turned 5 (shes now nearly 9) she also has and older adoptive son 20 who receives PIP and is due to start an apprenticeship next week

since then she hasnt claimed any other wage replacement benefit and has been solely living off the adoption allowance, child tax credit and the childrens DLA and PIP. she explained she had previously made a claim for carers allowance but was refused (im unsure if this maybe in relation to the AA in payment but i cant find anything to say they would be overlapping benefit)

from what i am reading adoption allowance is completely disregarded for UC and if this is the case she would be significantly better off on UC then her current circs, but i dont want to get her hopes up and say yes when in fact shes not

is this the case? is it disregarded? (looking at CPAG pages 131and 430)

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

It’s not really ‘disregarded’ as such but it is ignored.

The only income. outside of employment/self-employment which is taken into account for the purposes of UC is the income specifically listed as “unearned income” at reg 66 UC Regs. Adoption Allowance isn’t on the list, so it isn’t income for UC purposes and is therefore ignored.

Incidentally, for legacy benefit purposes it is disregarded. E.g. para 26, Sch 8, ESA Regs.

VRW
forum member

Livin Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 61

thanks Elliott :)

i thought it was the case but with her just not claiming anything else i was second guessing myself!!!

shes gonna be one happy lady with the extra money - its nice to have the occasional good story for UC

Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 134

Who gets the AA?

Jim