Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Conditionality and sanctions  →  Thread

Although 1095 days sanction period is removed - does the 1095 total outstanding reduction period (TORP) still exist?

clive
forum member

Newcastle Council Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 122

SI.No.1357/2019 removed ‘1095’ days from the table in UC Regs 102 (2). So far so good.

But, reg 101(3) which says:

“(3) If the reduction period calculated in relation to a sanctionable failure in accordance with regulations 102 to 105 would result in the total outstanding reduction period [TORP] exceeding 1095 days, the reduction period in relation to that failure is to be adjusted so that the total outstanding reduction period does not exceed 1095 days.”

has not been amended.

So it looks like even though the max sanction period that can be made is 182 days, if there are several sanctions, the TORP still can go up to 1095 days!!

Am I right and should we be asking them to change this “oversight” ?

Thank you

Clive

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/1357/contents/made

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3548

HI Clive - yes that is the case - you could have multiple sanctions that total up to 1095 days.

I’m not convinced it was an ‘oversight’ - it was a PR thing to reduce the long sanction which not many people were subject to anyway - but many more will have multiple sanctions going well over 6 months!

clive
forum member

Newcastle Council Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 122

Hi Daphne
yeah, you’re right I guess. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. Thank you as ever. Damn those @#~$