to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Claiming PC when on SDA

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

I would appreciate some advice on PC entitlement please.

My client has been told that she cannot claim PC as she is in receipt of SDA and must claim SP before claiming PC. Is this correct? Her SP is less than her SDA.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

This is something we keep hearing about, Pension Service agents wrongly telling people they must claim State Pension before they’re allowed to claim Pension Credit.

It’s complete nonsense and it’s really frustrating that this keeps happening.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Thanks Paul. I think the fact you can only claim online if SP has been claimed probably adds to the problem.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

CDV Adviser - 09 August 2022 10:03 AM

Thanks Paul. I think the fact you can only claim online if SP has been claimed probably adds to the problem.

Do you know, I’d not considered that but you’re probably correct.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Really glad to read this thread. Was beginning to think I’d missed something significant. We’ve had a small number of these but they do tend to jump out at you. Dealing with the PS now is like knitting with fog. It’s like they’re in a race to the bottom with UC agents.

Jo Barker
forum member

Welfare rights - Lancashire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 8

We have just picked up a case where the claimant is on SDA and PC, and on further checks it has come to light that PC has also been deducting an amount for the RP that has never been in payment. PC have said that as the customer could have claimed their RP they have a right to deduct it as income! As there are no direct ways in to the Pension Service we have liaised with our safeguarding lead, and raised concern that PC appear to have forgotten about the overlapping benefit rules and asked for her help to correct the error. Just be careful with your cases and watch what happens, as unfortunately the once wonderful Pension Service are starting to morph into the UC service centre approach, which regularly feels like they make up their own rules.