to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Fraudulent CA claim stopping claimants entitlement to PC

VLMS
forum member

Grwp Cynefin Welfare team

Send message

Total Posts: 54

I have a client who receives SRP and PIP and is entitled to Pension Credit - a claim was made in February 2022. We have been told by PC there is no entitlement as someone is receiving CA on his behalf. The claimant is adamant that he has no one caring for him. We have advised both CA and PC and yet there is still no action on his Pension Credit with each department advising that the other needs to take action. Under ESA /IS you could complete an IS10 and this would confirm the claimants situation. There seems to be no such system in place for PC - any ideas on how to move this case on would be gratefully received!

Tim Saint
forum member

Benefits Service Coordinator, Swindon Carers Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 32

There used to be a time where the CA unit would.not let you even report a fraud as they could only talk to the customer claiming the CA. I did a quick email to the MP when I last had this situation and it was resolved quickly, but I am not sure of any quick DWP route. Hopefully if an overpayment of CA has occurred through fraud as 35 hours care is not taking place, the SDP for your customer can be backdated.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

We’ve been pushing Pension Service to introduce some kind of escalation route for these type of situations but have got precisely nowhere to date. I think Tim is correct about involving their MP if possible for now or alternatively you have the tortuously long and frustrating process of trying to make an official complaint or threatening a JR for a lack of decision making.

You may have seen other similar enquiries on here since they removed the need for the cared for person to sign the CA claim form.

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

We have had a similar situation.  The matter was only resolved after the client had appealed the decision refusing benefit, and a FTT ruled in favour of our client.

VLMS
forum member

Grwp Cynefin Welfare team

Send message

Total Posts: 54

Oh dear - its going to be along route then! Thank you for the ideas.