to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

poorly designed AA claim form

slaw
forum member

Macmillan benefits advice team - Oldham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 88

I have been meaning to post on here for a while about this and I don’t know if anyone else has already posted about it. 

I think the new AA claim form introduced from december 2021 is very poor.  Some of the boxes to enter text in relation to the various daily activites are the size of a postage stamp, whereas other boxes are randomly much bigger.  It is very poorly designed.  There is even a massive mistake that I cannot believe passed through the DWP’s quality checking procedures - the last sub-question at Question 35 asks if there is anthing else you want to say about taking medication or with medical treatment (repreating Question 34), when Question 35 is about help required with communicating with other people.  This has actually been corrected in the form attached to the gov.uk website, but the forms we have dealt with sent out by the helpline still have the mistake.

What do others think?
If DWP are reading this, what do you think and what is to be done about it?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

We’ve fed back to DWP about the confusion with the questions and they’ve promised to rectify that aspect of the claim form.

VRW
forum member

Livin Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 61

YES!!! exactly this!!!

I hate the new layout and those boxes for further information are absolutely ridiculous - i have massive handwriting as well so 2 words and the box is full hahaha

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I’ve not filled in any of these boxes on DLA, PIP or AA claim packs for some years now. I have zero interest in how much space they wish to allocate me. My interest lies solely in ensuring that what needs to be said gets said. Consequently all my claims contain boxes which say no more than “Please see the attached additional sheets” and I attach a Word document containing both the relevant questions and answers.

The AA form is a mess. One question is repeated which is a significant failure of proof-reading. However, I tend to the view that the space allowed is nothing to the point other than for those who have no access to IT or abilities with same. For us it simply should not matter.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Mike Hughes - 03 August 2022 01:15 PM

..Consequently all my claims contain boxes which say no more than “Please see the attached additional sheets” and I attach a Word document containing both the relevant questions and answers. ..

Me too - also says time when doing renewals, MRs etc.