Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA change of circs pension age

Liz - Blesma
forum member

Membership Support Blesma

Send message

Total Posts: 12

Hello
I feel I should know this, but have not been asked before.
Gentleman, 81, has high rate DLA mobility. Now has care needs. Is it a DLA increase and if so how does he claim. I cannot find a number anywhere for DLA claim for adult.
Or will it be PIP - I didn’t think he would be allowed to apply for PIP.
Thank you
Liz

Gemap
forum member

Advice team - GEMAP Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 20

Do you have a DRH? This is covered on page 24,

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

0800 731 0122 - see https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-living-allowance-benefit/your-DLA-claim#:~:text=You%20must%20contact%20the%20Disability,for%20more%20than%204%20weeks

He can’t claim PIP but he could also choose to claim Attendance Allowance alongside the DLA mobility component - https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/10260/ 

edit - sorry, first link should be https://www.gov.uk/disability-benefits-helpline

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Given that he is 81 he will have been over 65 on 8th April 2013 and therefore can’t the DLA be superseded to include the addition of the care component. No need to claim AA and, depending on his situation, may result in a higher award if he doesn’t have night time needs.

[ Edited: 18 May 2022 at 05:56 pm by Ianb ]
Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Yes it’s a supersession of the current DLA award seeking middle or high rate care component that should be the easiest way to proceed (with the usual caveats about risks to existing HRM) but hopefully shouldn’t be a problem.

Holly1989
forum member

Social Welfare Law Unit Citizens Advice Sefton

Send message

Hope you don’t mind me adding to this post. Hoping someone can help. Just wondering if the advice is the same for my client. She was born 1953 so age 59 (under 65) on 8/4/2013. She is currently on Low Rate DLA Care and looking at an increase on this. I have read conflicting information. D R Handbook states she can move between levels of care and remain on DLA but another source states she will be reassessed for PIP. Hoping someone can help advise. Thank you. Holly

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Holly1989 - 11 July 2022 02:01 PM

Hope you don’t mind me adding to this post. Hoping someone can help. Just wondering if the advice is the same for my client. She was born 1953 so age 59 (under 65) on 8/4/2013. She is currently on Low Rate DLA Care and looking at an increase on this. I have read conflicting information. D R Handbook states she can move between levels of care and remain on DLA but another source states she will be reassessed for PIP. Hoping someone can help advise. Thank you. Holly

If she applies for a supersession to the DLA award, she should be invited to claim PIP instead.

Holly1989
forum member

Social Welfare Law Unit Citizens Advice Sefton

Send message

Thank you Paul! 😊