to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Decision Maker assumptions

Tim Saint
forum member

Benefits Service Coordinator, Swindon Carers Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 32

Here are my latest ones, with actual situation in brackets!

Your medication has not changed in the last three years which shows your condition is stable. (The person is actually on the highest possible dose of depression and anti-anxiety medication available for the doctor to give)

You got married last year, which shows you are able to plan and prepare a budget. (the partner did all the arrangements and the client just had to turn up at the wedding)

You did a degree course 6 years ago, which shows you have adequate motivation. (the claimant had post-partum psychosis after childbirth 5 years after the course ended.

I notice that you drive a car, so I have concluded that you are able to read. (I do not understand this one!)

Cheers

Tim

S2uABZ
forum member

Money adviser - Aberdeen City Council Financial Inclusion Team

Send message

Total Posts: 130

I still think my ‘you are able to wipe yourself’ (toilet) shows an ability to grip is just taking the p….!

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Tim Saint - 06 July 2022 02:36 PM

I notice that you drive a car, so I have concluded that you are able to read. (I do not understand this one!)

The written theory test was introduced in 1996 and is required to pass your driving test. In order to drive properly, you would also be expected to read and understand road signs.

Tim Saint
forum member

Benefits Service Coordinator, Swindon Carers Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 32

the http://www.gov website says

You can have reasonable adjustments made to your theory test if you have a:

reading difficulty
disability
health condition
These include:

extra time to take the test
someone to read what’s on the screen and record your answers
someone to reword the questions for you

Hopefully someone who has very limited reading ability would be able still be able to drive.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

We can talk about these forever but the issue which underpins them all is that they are all assumptions thoroughly dismantled time and again by case law. Often, repeatedly and often definitively. I am loathe to criticise DMs in respect of this as the underlying issue is that no-one updates the DMG to reflect case law because the environment around that is now so politically driven. No-one retrains HCPs on the state of case law and no-one feeds back UT decisions to DM. Appalling as they are, this is where that ends up.