Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

Derivative rights - UC?

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 222

Hi All

Just want to check something. I have a scenario of a 5 year old French national and their Mum, who is a non-EEA national. Father of the child was French but no current contact and never married. Not sure if he’s still in the UK but he had been here a long time when she knew him. Derivative right BRP issued in 2016 under EEA regs on the basis of her being a main carer to her son.

Can she claim UC? She has pre-settled and she has just applied for settled status for them both - son’s has been awarded. Mum has a good working history but currently off sick but I’m not clear that her work history will cut it?

Help please!

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

Is there a typo in that: should it be 15 instead of 5?

If so, I would say there is enough evidence to support a derivative right to reside: if it existed back in 2016 (as evidenced by the residence card), it logically ought still to exist now.

If not, then I assume we are talking about two different children are we?  Is the older one from 2016 no longer in education?  You would need evidence of French father having been a worker in UK during 5-year-old’s lifetime.

Mother’s own work history irrelevant.

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Send message

Hi! No it’s is a five year old. She said it was initially refused and then taken to immigration tribunal and I asked whether it focused on her ex-partner but she felt it was very much rooted in her child who was only born in 2016.

I asked her whether she has a copy of the immigration decision but she’s lost it. It took her from 2016 to 2019 to actually be awarded it. She gets Child Benefit from 2019…

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

Struggling to see how she would have had a derivative right to reside in 2016 with a new-born baby, unless the child was self-sufficient?  In that case, the mother’s work history becomes relevant and might indeed have been the basis on which the child was self-sufficient (as per Chen case).

Obviously not self-sufficient now if claiming UC, and might not have five years’ unbroken self-sufficiency for a permanent right to reside if gaps in work history.  But if child now in school and French father was a worker at some point since 2016, could rely on the more usual Ibrahim-style derivative right to reside instead

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Aside from the 2016 derivative rights mystery, can she not rely on whatever grounds were used to award her pre-settled status? I assume that this would have been awarded based on the HO being satisfied that she had derivative rights or otherwise.

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Send message

Ok thanks both. I will see if she can find her paperwork to help us along and otherwise argue re father’s working history.

I was pretty surprised by her status so happy to hear I’ve not missed something obvious.

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Send message

Hi All

Sorry, just realised I typo’d. Her leave was awarded late 2019 when he would have been 3 years and 9 months but not sure that changes anything.