Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  The Social  →  Thread

How might the football have turned out?

‹ First  < 2 3 4

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

So, is there anyone who isn’t going to enjoy watching Brentford this season?

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Mike Hughes - 19 August 2021 10:42 AM

Arsenal fans for a start [snigger]?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Peter Turville - 19 August 2021 11:01 AM
Mike Hughes - 19 August 2021 10:42 AM

Arsenal fans for a start [snigger]?

Shawn [QPR fan] Mach

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

Uh oh ... that’s the cat out of the bag ...

(... thoroughly enjoyed the Bees Arsenal game .... always got to cheer on the underdog!)

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Bit of a humdinger at Wrexham this weekend, hope you managed to go Mike?

Not quite the drama of the 1957 game between Charlton Athletic and Huddersfield Town though. After 61 minutes Town, managed by Bill Shankly and with a young but injured Dennis Law looking on,  were leading 5-1 against 10 men of Charlton (before subs were allowed and one of the Addicks went off with a dislocated shoulder after 15 minutes). Charlton then banged in 5 quick goals to lead 6-5. Town equalised with 3 minutes to go but Charlton scored again in the final minute to win 7-6. Town remain the only team in English football to score 6 and still lose. 11 goals were scored in the 2nd half.

Interestingly the main complaint from Town players afterwards was that Charlton fans were throwing orange peel at them during the game. And they say that southerners are softies…

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Until Saturday we had the best defence in the division and have been averaging 4 goals per game. That was the 3rd time we have conceded 5 at home in 2022 though. We were 2-0 up and then 2-5 down to Dover, then the worst team in the division, with 30 minutes to go last season and won 6-5 in the 97th minute. I rarely lose it at football games but that was one occasion. Suffice to say I didn’t make the 5:02 train from Wrexham to Chester and got home a little late.

Then we lost the play off semi-final 4-5 to the Grimsby team who eventually went up. An utterly inexplicable and wonderful game which very much highlighted a name to watch for the future, Grimsby striker John McAtee. Absolutely has what it takes to do a Vardy, although so do Kabongo Tschimanga at Chesterfield and the Notts County 2 that they nicked from Gateshead. Honourable mention too for our own 20 year old defender Max Cleworth. Rumoured to be signing for Liverpool in January. Entirely believable too.

Then Saturday. I had given up on going thanks to the train strike. None of my mates were going. Got my Covid booster at 8:45am from Bolton Wanderers - ironically from the Mum of Caleb Richards who plays for Kiddy and whose best mate is the aforementioned John McAtee - and contemplated the 1st of 4 buses from Leigh, which would have gotten me there for 2:41pm and in the ground for 2:55pm. It actually worked. No way home before the next day so bussed it to my parents 15 miles away and stayed the night. Unbelievably silly game. Barnet are bonkers. Their front 3 are great. Their defence is a thing of wonder in a really bad way.  We could have probably put 4 or 5 past them anyway but a couple of existing injuries and the managers choice of replacement for the injured Jordan Davies did for us. Probably the only time we’ll sit there having watched our team score 7 and freaked out at the prospect of 7 minutes injury time. On chances it would have been 13-9. Realistically the keepers kept it from being 9-7.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Crikey, only just seen the score, what a match. Mind you,. there were lots of goals flying in over weekend up north apparently…..

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Paul Mullins causing a bit of a stink with his footwear choices then Mike?

https://twitter.com/Wrexham_AFC/status/1584828889771245569

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

One could not possibly comment :)

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Looked like quite the night at the Racecourse Ground last night Mike. The cheers for the Wrexham goals in my local were very loud, what a shame one of our old boys got that equaliser.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Worst of all worlds really. A replay instead of a league game during a month where the title will likely be won or lost and two out of our three main defenders out with bad injuries.

The tone was set by watching that wonderful Brighton winner on the concourse. Our two teams have had a bit of a love affair for a few years now. Huge roar when that went in.

Thought Parky was right to say that, after the early goal and the improvised defence, lesser teams could have conceded 5 or 6 that 1st half. Certainly took us about 30 minutes to stabilise. Second half for me was a joy. Against Coventry we played like us for 20 minutes and then lost our way. Really we beat them through a huge amount of heart and luck.

Second half last night I thought we showed the world what we’ve been doing at home all season. Hard to pick out a player but even if you take his goal out of the equation then Mullin was everywhere. Had a hard week too. His son was diagnosed with autism and he stepped onto the pitch with an autistic young female mascot with headphones on and he wore them too. Fine footballer and a pretty great human being. Young Cleworth at the back was excellent again too. Liverpool, Norwich, West Brom and City have been looking at him and his 2 FA Cup games won’t have harmed that.

Realistically the replay is likely to feature huge changes for both sides and we will then go out but that feels okay. Our reputation was built on cup runs during the John Neal era so it’s been nice to have that back. Had to restrain my 17 year old in the 1st half. A lot of people in the ground felt the ref gave us nothing. Sat at home last night it was obvious the ref had a very good game.

[ Edited: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:34 am by Mike Hughes ]