Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Approximate timetable for recording of PIP assessments

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Written answer in parliament yesterday says -

we are starting behavioural testing with claimants and health professionals over the summer, followed by a live testing pilot later in the year, which will inform wider rollout decisions.

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 890

meanwhile… in Northern Ireland, the Department for Communities will decide in Autumn 2018 whether it will follow the Rader PIP review recommendation to introduce recording of assessments.

source: part 4 of the Department’s equality screening report on current recording policy

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Who is going to be paying for a transcription? Will it be produced automatically? Meaningless change without a transcription.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Does anybody have any updates on this?

I was told by a HCP last week that I was welcome to audio record the assessment to save me from taking notes and that I could do so in any way I wanted. That particular HCP is something of a loose canon so I didn’t pay it much mind but I have also been told by a claimant this week that she has been given permission to record a Home Visit assessment on her phone.

Has there been a change in policy or is this just a local oddity/coincidence?

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

New from Leeds University’s International Disability Law Clinic, reported by DNS and DRUK ...

In response to a FOI request made by the Disability Law Clinic, the Ministry of Justice confirmed that it had failed to carry out any assessment of the impact on disabled people of failing to provide recording equipment at tribunal venues, and that:

- there are no social security tribunal venues across the whole of London that have installed recording equipment.

- of the 161 hearing centres in England, Wales and Scotland only 91 (56 per cent) have recording equipment.

- England comes out worst with only 52 per cent of its venue having equipment (63 out of 120) compared to Scotland (68 per cent 15 of its 22 venues) and Wales (68% 13 of its 19 venues).

- the cost of installing a recording device (and additional hardware) is only about £1,000 per venue and that the annual cost after installation is approximately £15.00.

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/benefit-appeal-recordings-not-possible-at-nearly-half-tribunal-venues/
https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2019/january/recordingtribunals

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Response to FOI request about recording PIP assessments says -

a recent pilot of audio recording in around 400 Personal Independent Payment (PIP) assessments was carried out to gain an initial understanding of the possible benefits of recording assessments. The trial focused mainly on
(a) whether audio recordings provided case managers with additional evidence on which to base their decisions;
(b) whether audio recording could support the existing independent audit process in the future; and
(c) if audio recording of the assessment was a positive experience for all involved in the process.

The results from the pilot suggest that audio recording of assessments has a limited impact. Moreover, a substantial proportion of claimants were not willing to have their assessment recorded. However, we recognise that for some, an audio recording is something they would like. We also understand the potential impact that this could have on people’s trust in our assessment. We are therefore looking at a further feasibility study, with the aim of better understanding the costs and benefits of recording assessments. This will potentially be delivered via the new PIP contract(s), subject to further feasibility assessment.

The video recording pilot commenced on 26 November 2018. 192 video recordings have been completed. We are currently evaluating the findings and expect to provide an update on this and future plans in the autumn.