Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

How long before you would complain about a wait on an outstanding LTA application?

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1124

What it says on the tin.

Waiting on a decision on a leave application before we can proceed to UT. I had in mind one that has been outstanding since 5/4/2016 - but on checking, realised there’s another been waiting since 19/2/2016…...

Edited to add;

Christ, HMC&TS; is in a mess at the moment…..clerks refusing to pass directions requests to judges has now become standard (they come back as ‘Thank you for sending in additional evidence’) and when you chase/complain they simply say it is ‘policy’ for the FTT judge to make any necessary direction on the day of the hearing.

In regards to my 19/2/2016 one, I’ve just been told (insistently) that it’s with the UT waiting a decision - I haven’t applied to the UT!!

[ Edited: 14 Jun 2016 at 01:26 pm by past caring ]
past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1124

Another one;

Application for leave to appeal to UT made to FTT at the beginning of March. No further communication from HMC&TS; prior to new listing received today.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

I always do directions requests by email with “DIRECTION REQUEST” in the subject title. It never fails and I believe the requests just get forwarded to the duty judge.

In other news; when TAS collapsed a while ago; with the help of a co-operative MP, I managed to secure a good telling off for someone by the National Audit Office and they upped their game. “The file’s not lost, we just can’t find it” were the fateful words that made me blow my top.

Sadly the Parliamentary Ombudsman referral scheme now prevents a referral being made before the complaint process has been exhausted, however co-operative MPs can still bend ears and if I were having similar problems that’s where I’d be looking.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2906

I too find that it is possible to jump the queue by presenting an application for directions in a format that makes the clerk subconsciously think “this is above my pay grade”.  My trick: no covering letter, just a template headed “Application for Directions”, names of appellant and respondent, NINO and any other references.  Then a few numbered paragraphs in which the respondent/appellant (depends who I am working for!) respectfully requests the Tribunal to give directions as to ...blah blah, whatever I want them to do.  Seems to get fairly prompt attention from a judge.  Now you’re all going to do it and I’ll lose my advantage!