to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Ken Loach wins at Cannes with ‘I, Daniel Blake’

JP 007
forum member

Welfare rights - Dundee City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 97

I think this deserves a mention; They had to show this film with subtitles incase the judges were unable to understand the Geordie accents but they must have got the message. Good for Ken to paint another picture of ‘Benefits Britain’ and show it to the word.
PS. I couldn’t make it to Cannes this year so will have to wait for it to be released here! This will ensure a wider showing but you local Odeon probably not have it on for as long as Star Wars!
see review;
http://gu.com/p/4j69b/sbl

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Good stuff indeed—-> I, Daniel Blake

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 627

As the mainstream media appear to have either been gagged or have decided that reporting the impacts of welfare reform isn’t worth the column inches, anything that highlights the issues and ignites debate is most welcome.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

JP 007 - 23 May 2016 05:30 PM

I think this deserves a mention; They had to show this film with subtitles incase the judges were unable to understand the Geordie accents but they must have got the message. Good for Ken to paint another picture of ‘Benefits Britain’ and show it to the word.
PS. I couldn’t make it to Cannes this year so will have to wait for it to be released here! This will ensure a wider showing but you local Odeon probably not have it on for as long as Star Wars!
see review;
http://gu.com/p/4j69b/sbl

I’ve already been told by someone (you can probably guess who) they wont be going to see this with me to listen to me complaining all the way through.

Worried it might be a re-run of the iron lady film (though for very different reasons).

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Discovered at a family wedding this past weekend that one of my oldest friends is in this along with one of his old friends from the comedy world, Davey Johns. Have been emailed a pile of photos of the pair of them with Ken Loach along with a strict instruction that nothing can be shared on social media etc.

However, was interested to hear of the issue they had when filming in a real job centre. Didn’t go down well with the locals.