Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Latest/new ESA50?

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1123

Maybe I’m missing something?

Yesterday assisted a client with completion of an ESA50. Noted that questions relating to some activities (physical: standing and sitting, navigation, consciousness - mental: getting about) are missing in their entirety and many others are either rolled into one and/or significantly truncated - e.g. ‘Using your hands and arms’ includes the reaching, lifting and manual dexterity activities but asks only whether a person is able to lift and move a 1/2 litre carton of milk (i.e. no invitation to disclose information as to whether they might manage a 1 litre carton or light but bulky object) and ‘coping with social situations’ asks only about a person’s ability to meet with people they know…...

I completed an ESA50 at the end of April for another client that contained questions for the full range of activities and the descriptors in each. That was an ESA50 04/15. The latest is an ESA50A 04/14.  I cannot think of any difference between the clients - both are receiving ESA and are presently in the support group.

But regardless, it’s the same assessment. Why the different forms? I’ve never seen the latest/truncated form before - is it an old one sent out in error?

[ Edited: 19 May 2016 at 10:57 am by past caring ]
past caring
forum member

Send message

And have just now done another ESA50 (ESA50 05/15) with the full range of questions - this for a client found to not have LCFW in March but where I’ve got the new claim accepted on the basis of a new condition…..

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

This one says it is a ESA50 04/14, I can’t see any significant difference to the 04/15 one - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/208072/response/548327/attach/9/ESA50 04 2014.pdf

Have not come across abridged version of form. The online version on gov.uk says 04/15.

Weird.

I am told (but have never seen) that there is an ESA-N-50 for persons living abroad.

past caring
forum member

Send message

The ESA50 04/14 in the link you posted is fine. The one I’m moaning about is an ESA50A 04/14 - maybe the ‘A’ is for ‘abridged’?

Edited to add: just noticed it is titled ‘Capability for work related activity questionnaire’ rather than a ‘Capability for work questionnaire’ - i.e. it appears that at this stage DWP are looking only at whether client remains in the support group. Now I think about it, the truncated form of the questions match the Schedule 3 descriptors.

Doh!!

[ Edited: 19 May 2016 at 11:55 am by past caring ]
BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Sorry PC, missed the ‘A’.

I think that it is a Limited Capability for Work Related Activity questionnaire

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ESA50A_1011-copy.pdf

past caring
forum member

Send message

Aye - see my edited post above. First time I’ve had one!