Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Latest on UC from Stephen Crabb

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3780

Stephen Crabb in front of the Work and Pensions Committee yesterday -

- defended the government’s universal credit policy, telling MPs he rejected criticisms that it no longer served its original purpose of making people better off in work than on benefits

- said he had spent the past six weeks “kicking the tyres and looking under the bonnet” of UC and was confident that the programme should roll out as planned.

- said “What I can see is that we have a very clear policy. It would be wrong to [introduce] change for change’s sake”

- said that conditionality had a role to play to encourage people to progress in work but that the the conditionality regime for working claimants has to be applied sensitively by work coaches. “It [conditionality] has to be delivered carefully in a smart way and that is a change.”

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/may/11/universal-credit-is-working-welfare-secretary-insists

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Kicking the tyres and looking under the bonnet??

Makes sense actually. He has that ‘used car salesman’ look about him (and goodness only knows, UC is just about the ultimate in moody second-hand motors).

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

Odd that he hasn’t noticed that it’s a tricycle with no wheels…..

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Its the bits of UC that are not in existence and still being developed that he needs to worry about…...

The visible bits that he can prod and kick, are really just the very simple bits.  I know there are some problems with these as well but still…..

Advisor_1
forum member

Byker Community Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 81

Isn’t kicking the tyres and looking under the bonnet something that you do when you want to make it look like you know what you are doing, but in actual fact you haven’t got a clue? Seems quite fitting I think.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Luvvly benefit, only ever claimed by a little old lady to put in the collection plate…

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

Yup, wheels attached, engine where it should be. Looks good, I’ll take it.

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

Well I’ve been looking under the bonnet of UC cases for the last three weeks and I am finding loads of problems ....

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

On the subject of conditionality ..... First Wave findings from the massive research project headed up by York University published today.  Should be an interesting read:

http://www.welfareconditionality.ac.uk/publications/first-wave-research-findings/

Was covered by the Guardian Frances Ryan yesterday.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

One in-work UC claimant reported being sanctioned for almost a year for missing multiple Jobcentre Plus appointments because of unpredictable working hours, variable care demands and ill-health:

“I’m on my court order for the eviction plus because of my arrears… I kept thinking, ‘Why is this happening? Why is this?’... I really was struggling. I fell behind on a lot especially because with the sanctions and then when I got poorly and I wouldn’t work and, because of the sanctions, I still wasn’t getting my main allowance. ” - (WSU, UC recipient, female, England)

Kicked the tyres of that one, eh Mr Crabb?

alang
forum member

Paisley South HA

Send message

Total Posts: 54

“It [conditionality] has to be delivered carefully in a smart way and that is a change.”

Therefore implying that any conditionality up to now hasn’t been delivered in a smart way, not much of a shock there,

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

alang - 12 May 2016 03:12 PM

“It [conditionality] has to be delivered carefully in a smart way and that is a change.”

Therefore implying that any conditionality up to now hasn’t been delivered in a smart way, not much of a shock there,

Indeed, as he admitted elsewhere here

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3780

The transcript of the Secretary of State’s evidence to the Select Committee is now available .........

File Attachments