to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Deductions of £29.60 + £5 from JSA

AmosP
forum member

Financial wellbeing team leader - Family Mosaic, London

Send message

Total Posts: 32

Perhaps someone can advise me regarding these punitive direct deductions.

My client ,a single person aged 43 in receipt of JSA, is having weekly deductions of £29.60 for a fraudulent IS O/P and also has an additional £5 being deducted for a fine. This leaves them with less than £40 a week to live on. The bedroom tax is £17 a week and rent arrears repayments are £7 a week. The rent arrears stand at over £3000. I called Debt Management in Mitcheldean and was informed that the IS deduction could only be considered for reduction if the client had a health condition which meant it incurred extra costs, if there was a risk of utilities being cut off or if there was a threat of eviction and then the client would have to provide proof of any or all of the above and then the admin team would ‘consider’ the request for a reduction.  The DWP officer was extremely inflexible and kept saying its legislation and so they cannot do anything about this. I have advised my client to seek intervention from the local MP as the situation is untenable.

I wondered whether anyone else has come across this response and whether you were able to reduce the direct deductions using any other methods.

thanks for your consideration.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

3 points come to mind:

If I am reading it right, and assuming this is income-based JSA not c-JSA, then CPAG p1181-2 says that where there is a fraudulent overpayment, the TOTAL deductions (excluding certain payments such as ongoing fuel costs) can not exceed £29.60.
The ref is to reg 5ZA of the Social Security (Overpayments and Recovery) 1988 regs, which was apparently inserted by this SI when the max rate went from 5 x 5% to 8 x 5%:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/499/pdfs/uksi_20150499_en.pdf

The DWP’s discretion to depart from the maximum rate is not fettered by legislation, see this thread, and the guidance Daphne attached in post #18:
http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7657

It may be worth referring for debt advice, for the rent arrears at least.

(edit: 4thly .. any grounds for a DHP?)