Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

displacing an appointee

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

How do

Does anyone have any idea how to displace an appointee? We were helping the appointee relinquish when they disappeared so now we need to displace them. Ideally quite quickly.

TIA

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

An appointment can only be revoked by the DWP, relinquished by the appointee or overwritten by a court. One of those things will have to happen before a new appointment can be considered.

If the appointee has disappeared then they are failing to meet the responsibilities the role entails (which includes “reporting any changes in their own circumstances that the Department may require, e.g. a change of name or address or change of account.”). If you can provide evidence of the disappearance to the DWP then they should invite the appointee to be interviewed - if they do not respond to the invitation within 2 weeks, the appointment would be revoked.  I think that’s how you would have to go about it.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I know we had the devil of a job sorting it out when we were in a similar position with a client once. The problem was- of course- that the DWP stonewalled us (and the client) when we attempted to explain the problem on the basis that there was an appointee (and they could therefore only deal with them) and we just couldn’t seem to get past that.  I know we had to escalate it/go through the complaints procedure/threaten MP action before anyone properly took ownership of it. They did indeed finally arrange an interview with the client (and revoked the appointee-ship following that).