to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA and SSP??

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

I don’t know if its just me but i’m getting a lot of clients recently who are in receipt of SSP calling in to make an appointment to fill in an ESA50

Their income is still above their applicable, even on half pay, so I’m confused as to why the DWP are processing these CB ESA claims when client is still getting Statutory sick pay.

Direct gov states you cant get ESA if you are entitled to SSP

Thoughts?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Maybe they’re already submitted the SSP1 and CfHaDA are issuing promptly on referral.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

I thought of that initially however these clients are still employed, and have gone down to half pay, inc SSP.

SSP1 in my experience is only applicable if SSP no longer in payment (ie after 28 weeks, or client dismissed?), but there may be exceptions. Cant seem to find any though…..

It is Friday though, and that may have something to do with it…..

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

Unless something’s changed, the SSP1 is supposed to be issued in the 23rd week of SSP. This allows someone to get a claim in for ESA promptly and not have to be without income.

If someone submits an advance claim for ESA, would s/he get an ESA50 before the ESA award starts?

Claire Hodgson
forum member

PI Team, BHP Law, Durham

Send message

Total Posts: 165

also if they are now down to half pay that implies they’ve already been on sick a fair while and probably exhausted their ssp?

anyway, lucky them is what i say… to be on half pay, that is…