Pages. Appeal bundle.

Any advance?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Of course 😊

62 appeals for 31 appellants bundled together with 450 pages each!

1 appeal with 1,400 pages. Can’t recall the exact number as it was a good while back.

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

My 6 conjoined appeals concerning various overpayments (PC/HB/AA) totalling around £200,000 from a couple of years back probably beat a 1008 by a stretch….checking the papers at the start of the 2-day hearing probably took an hour. And we won!!!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Ah, a contest 😊

My 62 took all morning based on 2 lead cases. Took me and my then girlfriend several trips to get them into the tribunal venue, which was Manchester House in Manchester if my recall is correct. Now a very expensive but very nice restaurant. No help from the clerk. As we got the last lot in the PO spotted us and casually whispered “you do know I’m not going to put up a fight don’t you!”. Grr.

1 for IS and 1 for SDA. Eventual worth was, I think, £1.2 million 😊

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Mike Hughes - 30 July 2015 09:50 AM

Ah, a contest :)

My 62 took all morning based on 2 lead cases. Took me and my then girlfriend several trips to get them into the tribunal venue, which was Manchester House in Manchester if my recall is correct. Now a very expensive but very nice restaurant. No help from the clerk. As we got the last lot in the PO spotted us and casually whispered “you do know I’m not going to put up a fight don’t you!”. Grr.

1 for IS and 1 for SDA. Eventual worth was, I think, £1.2 million :)

You forgot to add ‘boom.’

I believe this to be modern etiquette.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

John Birks - 30 July 2015 10:59 AM
Mike Hughes - 30 July 2015 09:50 AM

Ah, a contest :)

1 for IS and 1 for SDA. Eventual worth was, I think, £1.2 million :)

You forgot to add ‘boom.’

I believe this to be modern etiquette.

Apologies John :)

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1123

Got one on the go at the moment where we’re at 822. However, last hearing was adjourned with directions made at my request that the SoS disclose all evidence that was seized from appellant’s home during raid by fraud investigators. A considerable amount of evidence is listed in the MR decisions included in the bundle but is not produced in the papers. It also appears that the evidence itemised in the MR decisions may not be a complete list of what was seized.

And I’m not including in the 822 figure the additional pages comprised of directions and directions requests that took place before the first hearing. Not sure I’ll beat 1008, but it’s looking likely.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

You can sort of see why HMCTS might want to save money! We’re not exactly encouraging the paperless office!

I have had to, with some reluctance, start asking TS for large print appeal papers because of my VI. Inevitably the handling of this has been entertaining.

TS decide to send everything on A3 but in the same breath say they’ll ask DWP to do the job properly on A4. DWP send 2 different subs. which only do large print A4 of their typed template submission but don’t do any of the accompanying evidence magnified at all. Presumably they just want me to guess!

Inevitably doing it properly is going to disproportionately increase the number of pages in my bundles/

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

In the past a senior officer handed out agendas in A4 format to all sat around.

Except for a colleague with a VI. He presented hers in A3 format.

It was all a bit ‘The Office.’

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

I’ve had one with well over 1600 pages. I took it from a local solicitor when the client couldn’t get Legal Aid.
I rung the Solicitor and said that as I was walking down to the town that lunchtime I would call in and collect the papers. They said it was quite a big bundle but when I got there it filled one of those carboard boxes that printer paper comes in. I weighed it when I (eventually) got back to the office and it came out at 22 pounds - I had a back ache for three days but we eventually won the appeal!

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

You could all practice keeping your submissions to one side of A4 - just because you won your cases dosen’t mean judges won’t thank you all the more for brevity - or have I not understood the rules of this competition?

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Gosh. the number of quils that you must get through and, what with the price of gold leaf and vellum, don’t the illuminated capitals impact on budgets?

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Gareth Morgan - 30 July 2015 04:39 PM

Gosh. the number of quils that you must get through and, what with the price of gold leaf and vellum, don’t the illuminated capitals impact on budgets?

You mean there is another way of writing subs?

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1123

Pete C - 31 July 2015 12:09 PM

I dictate mine to my admin worker - doesn’t everyone?

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

past caring - 03 August 2015 10:41 AM
Pete C - 31 July 2015 12:09 PM

I dictate mine to my admin worker - doesn’t everyone?

Luxury -  when I were a lad we had to write our subs sitting in a hole in the road using a seagull feather and we had to catch the seagull first. T’ Council only gave us one piece of paper every three months and if we wanted any more we had to make it ourselves ...........................

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

John Birks - 30 July 2015 01:10 PM

In the past a senior officer handed out agendas in A4 format to all sat around.

Except for a colleague with a VI. He presented hers in A3 format.

It was all a bit ‘The Office.’

I dream of having a large print agenda - for anything!