to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

How to deal with a naughty Work Programme Provider

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

I have come across another Work Programme Provider that is playing a bit fast and loose; telling ESA claimants (and the social worker supporting them) that they are mandated to apply for work; but no Mandatory Activity Notice, is the latest of their stunts.

I am wondering about strategies to sort them out. They don’t appear to have much market share; I don’t see many people under their care compared to other providers so it might be difficult to gather a broad evidence base but this is the third time now that I’ve caught them up to no good.

I won’t identify the firm directly but I will say that their Prime Contractor is Pertemps.

The last lot I sorted out under the EQA (and they’re pussy cats now) but this is more difficult as I may struggle to show discriminatory practice and I don’t want to try a harassment argument when it could be argued to be simple bad practice; I’d be running a costs risk before the Employment Tribunal so I don’t want to jump unless I’m sure.

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

The complaints procedure and ICE after that?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

John Birks - 13 May 2015 01:48 PM

The complaints procedure and ICE after that?

Good luck with ICE. Hard to imagine a less useful concept. Oh, hang on, the PHSO!!! Currently on my 4th attempt to get a complaint acknowledged against the PHSO themselves for prematurely closing a case because they think we can complain to ATOS. Suffice to say that had already been done…

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

I never said it would be swift.

in the meantime….

Ice ice baby, Ice ice baby, All right stop, Collaborate and listen, Ice is back with my brand new invention, Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Then I flow that a harpoon daily and nightly, Will it ever stop? (or start) Yo, I don’t know, Turn off the lights and I’ll glow, To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

On discussion we’re going to go down the Safeguarding route; oh how I love working in a Social Work team!

In my experience unless we’ve got an MP willing to refer to PHSO at the outset ICE is just a route to dump complaints in a silo and forget about them.

Don’t worry; I will be watching this WPP very closely for EQA infringements now… I will get them eventually!