to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Carers Credits for claiming ESA

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

I’m clear that a contribution credit for being on CA will allow someone to meet the the second contribution condition for ESA however not so clear on the first condition. Opinion differs in our office..

DRH states that if you are awarded a class 1 credit as a carer then you are treated as if you had earnings equal to the LEL for that week. 

Does that mean you meet the “treated as being paid” condition for ESA and does this mean in practice if you have been receiving CA for many years you will meet both conditions and therefore be eligible for ESA?

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Yes, that’s my understanding of it.

I had a case a little while back where I argued with DWP over it. I’m certain we were right and they were wrong but they wouldn’t cave in and the client didn’t want to pursue it to appeal so I didn’t get a resolution on it. I know I posted on Rightsnet and had some useful responses but I’m not very good at links. I’m sure one of the people out there with active brains can find it for me….

Edited to say the thread was started by BenefitsAdvisor on 9/9/13 and was titled ‘Contribution based ESA and Carers Allowance’. I bumped it later. I can’t do links though (sorry).

[ Edited: 21 Apr 2015 at 08:51 am by 1964 ]
BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

1964 - 21 April 2015 08:09 AM

I can’t do links though (sorry).

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/5297/

To do links, single left click in the url at the top of the page (the thing that says w ww.rightsnet/forums/2346etc) and it should highlight it. Click ‘Ctrl’ and ‘c’ at the same time - this copies the text. Go to the message, single left click where you want to put the link and press ‘Ctrl’ and ‘v’ at the same time. This should paste your link. This is the extent of my technical knowledge.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Thanks Billy!