Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

publicising of short term benefit advances

< 1 2

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1961

I don’t think so. I note from Daphne that they are mentioned in the leaflet on the UC page, but it still seems to me as if they are being buried. They should either be on the STBA page with all the others or have one of their own.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

From what I understand from the DWP all UC stuff is separate from legacy benefit stuff - so that page talks about STBAs which apply to legacy benefits - and the UC pages talk about UC advances. They don’t appear to be able to put information about both on one page. But I agree it’s not flagged up enough and I have raised this with them but their only concession was to include a reference to them in the pdf in addition to on the website page.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

It seems to me that the info on STBAs amounts to misinformation. For example, the gov.uk A-Z landing page for benefits is at: https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits/entitlement
From there, we see the page on the benefit cap - which deals with legacy benefits, but also specifically states that the calculator is not applicable to UC, and provides a link to the UC section.

There is also a page on fraud, which manages to list UC amongst all the other sanctionable legacy benefits.

And yet, the page on benefit advances presents what appears to be an exhaustive list of benefit for which an advance may be claimed ( “You can apply if you’ve recently applied for ....” ), without mentioning UC at all.