to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

First experience of Maximus

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

OK, I know it’s only a couple of phone calls and it’s early days…

Client accidentally threw out ESA50 and is too unwell for visit to complete in any case; it’s due back sometime next week. Phone call number 1 to Maximus - “the return date is set in stone, we cannot agree an extension under any circumstances and it’s been that way for at least 2 years”. He was quite arsey.

Phone call number 2 - “Oh, don’t worry there’s no deadline, you can just send it back whenever. Yes there probably was a date on the letter with the discarded ESA50 but that’s just a computer thing, you can ignore it. No I can’t put a note on that you called, we don’t have that facility until there’s an appointment”.

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

Yes, sorry should probably have said I’m more concerned about when we can get it back to them! Have now spoken to a sensible person at the BDC so it is sorted for now.

I thought Maximus were just taking over Atos staff but on that experience I’m not so sure.. We’ve never had much problem getting them to agree an extension in the past.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

If there are mental health problems and DWP is aware of them, the claimant should be protected from having benefit terminated for failure to return the ESA50, i.e. the assessment is the only basis for making the decision.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Rosie W - 06 March 2015 11:32 AM

Yes, sorry should probably have said I’m more concerned about when we can get it back to them! Have now spoken to a sensible person at the BDC so it is sorted for now.

I thought Maximus were just taking over Atos staff but on that experience I’m not so sure.. We’ve never had much problem getting them to agree an extension in the past.

I’d say that exactly mirrors the experience with ATOS up until the point they knew retention of the contract was a lost cause. There have always been exactly those 2 responses. No deadline and yes rigid deadline. Nothing new to me.

John Birks
forum member

Send message

I can add something useful, I think.

Maybe a tweet to Sue Marsh? She’s employed to cover the customer experience side of things.

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7874/

https://twitter.com/suey2y/status/572852847445872642

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

John Birks - 06 March 2015 01:52 PM

I can add something useful, I think.

Maybe a tweet to Sue Marsh? She’s employed to cover the customer experience side of things.

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7874/

https://twitter.com/suey2y/status/572852847445872642

Ah, how many tweets before she takes the “I am unable to deal with individual queries line”?

Think this is exactly the context in which she’ll begin to appreciate the futility of her new role but that’s just a personal view. I am aware it’s a very divisive issue.

John Birks
forum member

Send message

Maybe, maybe not? For now it will be of assistance

Customer service seems to be quite big with Twitter at the mo.

I managed to get the Police to get their helicopter to visit the local fete - tweeted a picture too.

Funny how 140 characters on a public forum can get more response than talking privately on the telephone.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

John Birks - 06 March 2015 02:04 PM

... Funny how 140 characters on a public forum can get more response than talking privately on the telephone.

Couldn’t agree more John. I have had very interesting experiences with First Manchester, Virgin Trains and others. Both organisations backed into a corner and forced to meet me face to face. People who dismiss it as people wittering about what they had for their dinner have entirely missed the point.

One of my better claims to fame is that I once went viral and started trending in Australia :)

That feels like an epitaph - “Once trended in Australia”.

John Birks
forum member

Send message

Nothing, I repeat nothing trends in Australia.

Offends a nation.

Again.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

John Birks - 06 March 2015 02:20 PM

Nothing, I repeat nothing trends in Australia.

Offends a nation.

Again.

30 year old fashions?

Just trying to trend again :)

John Birks
forum member

Send message

Ugg!