Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Challenging the requirement to attend a WCA?

< 1 2

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Dan Manville - 26 February 2015 02:20 PM

You can’t expect herbalists to know how to operate a syringe!

Going rather OT but I would rather expect herbalists to “not operate” full stop. Certainly a personal prejudice but I refer all concerned to Bad Science by Dr. Ben Goldacre and notably the staggering figures on what herbal remedies actually contain (essentially water) and the chapters explaining the placebo effect and regression to the mean.

Matter of time before my GPs receptionists are recruited for their insight and customer service skills. My bus driver would be good too. He can spot a fraudster a mile off.

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

Mike Hughes - 26 February 2015 01:16 PM

Race to the bottom anyone?

Not had nurses competing like that but think I’d still prefer mine in the arm (my jab).

Re the herbalist, I was thinking of Maximus aims to carry out one million work capability assessments this year in the News section from which the following is reported:

“However, the BBC also reports that, whilst Maximus is going to recruit more health professionals like physiotherapists, it will not take on any more doctors, meaning that the percentage of doctors to other health professionals will decline.”

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Tom H - 26 February 2015 02:49 PM
Mike Hughes - 26 February 2015 01:16 PM

Race to the bottom anyone?

Not had nurses competing like that but think I’d still prefer mine in the arm (my jab).

Re the herbalist, I was thinking of Maximus aims to carry out one million work capability assessments this year in the News section from which the following is reported:

“However, the BBC also reports that, whilst Maximus is going to recruit more health professionals like physiotherapists, it will not take on any more doctors, meaning that the percentage of doctors to other health professionals will decline.”

Although given the difficulty Atos & Crapita have had recruiting enough HCPs from the vast pool of under-employed health care professionals maybe recruiting herbalists and similar is their only hope? Or maybe we should expect the immigration figures to make a further jump as they step up recruit from overseas (or have they exhausted that pool already)?

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Pool! Of course- Hydrotherapists! Or Life Guards! IOr Colonic Irrigationists perhaps? Must be loads of them out there who’d be glad of a bit of extra cash.

(Must lie down and take meds…)