to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP appeal

JayKay
forum member

Benefits adviser - Penwith Housing Association, Penzance

Send message

Total Posts: 139

I’ve just had a submission through for a PIP appeal.  The claimant was originally refused both components.  That was upheld by the mandatory reconsideration.

However the submission states that the DM has now looked at the case again following the receipt of the appeal and has awarded the daily living component at the standard rate.  No decision to that effect has been issued to the claimant, and when I rang the PIP helpline they informed me that it was still showing as nil entitlement.

If the decision has been changed in the claimant’s favour, shouldn’t the appeal lapse and the claimant would need to appeal again against the new decision if they are not happy with it?

I’m also a bit concerned about a couple of lines in the submission which state
‘The Tribunal is asked to consider this appeal as the award to the standard rate of daily living would appear not to satisfy their expectations’.

Given that the claimant hasn’t even been notified of any award, it’s very presumptuous for the DM to state whether or not they are satisfied with it….

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

Sounds like they have copied and pasted the wrong bit into the papers

JayKay
forum member

Benefits adviser - Penwith Housing Association, Penzance

Send message

Total Posts: 139

The reasons for allowing the claim at the standard rate refer to evidence submitted - so that part certainly wasn’t copied and pasted

Maybe the statement about it not meeting her expectations was