× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Debt worker-advice needed

AEastwood
forum member

The Bond Board, Rochdale

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Hi

We are a homeless charity considering seeking funding for an in-house debt worker.

As a starting point, could anyone point me in the right direction as to what the organisation would need in terms of accreditation/licences etc and what we would need from the worker in terms of being fit/safe to practice as a sole debt worker in a homeless charity setting.

Thank you

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 868

you need to register with the FCA http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/systems-reporting/register

you will also need to make sure that your insurance covers you to give this type of advice. I set up our service in Scotland and we also became members of money advice scotland which gives you access to training etc, no doubt there will be english equivalents.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 868

in scotland there is also a system of accreditation for certain types of money advice i.e. the debt payment programme (DAS) but as we are only funded to offer the most basic level of money advice we dont require this.

again, there may be similar elsewhere in the uk.

AEastwood
forum member

The Bond Board, Rochdale

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Thanks for the advice,

Alison