From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Bedroom Tax- size criteria

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Have there been any developments in relation to CSH/41/14 & 42/14 does anyone know? Last I heard they were awaiting three-judge panel hearing but I can’t find any updates.

Nearlylegal
forum member

Anthony Gold Solicitors London

Send message

Total Posts: 16

An Upper Tribunal on room size took place in Scotland on 18 September. Judgment awaited…

forum member

Send message

Thank you most kindly!

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3777

forum member

Send message

Thanks Sean

All a bit messy by the looks of it…

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Very messy; see the extremely useful post by Giles Peaker, and the comments, in Nearly Legal at http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2014/12/elephant-bedroom/ .

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3777

new DWP guidance issued today (HB U6/2014) ... plus the Tribunal Service has published the UT decision(s)

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/news/story/whether-space-standards-are-determinative-as-to-whether-a-room-is-a-bedroom

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

Interesting Nearly Legal blog on recent tribunal decision finding that, following the Upper Tribunal decision in CSH/41/2014,  ‘the room had various physical features and drawbacks which prevented it from being used as a bedroom’, so it should not be counted under Reg B13.

Nearly Legal comments that -

‘What this decision suggests, as raised in my report on the Fife UT decision, is that if specific factors are raised by the tenant as going against the landlord’s statement of the number of bedrooms, then the benefit authority will have to consider those factors and give reasons for their decision. If they do not, or if there is no contrary factual evidence, then the FTT may well accept the tenant’s evidence (assuming it is adequate). And a decision on such facts is frankly unappealable by the benefit authority or DWP. The UT has established the legal framework, factual decisions made within that framework are not realistically appealable.

If there are physical reasons why a room is not useable as a bedroom, tenants should raise them with the benefit authority straight away. The benefit authority will have to deal with them, and cannot just rely on what the landlord told them if the tenant raises objections. As I predicted, the benefit authorities and DWP will not be happy with the effects of Fife UT decision.’

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2015/01/hot-hot-hot/