From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Work focused interviews for carers

Colin Hannon - Welfare Benefits Adviser
forum member

Send message

Total Posts: 3

We have a case of a couple who are both claiming Carers allowance for both of their children whom unfortunately are both severely disabled , the mother of the children has been recently called into the job centre four times for WFI . As far as my knowledge serves me both are exempt from WFI as in receipt of CA , unfortunately we was unable to get through to JCP to ask why this was being applied to this lady , but we would be really interested if anyone has also encountered a similar scenario , as we all know DWP are good at making up their own rules

I am unawares of any recent legislative changes ?

All comments welcomed with open arms

Colin Hannon

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Receipt of CA is exemption from work related activity but not work focused interviews.

You don’t mention which benefit they are claiming. If it is ESA and they are in the Support Group then they should not be being called in. If it is IS, then I believe JCP can call them in as many times as they see fit.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

It may be worth remembering the fact that the role of the WFI is to try and support you into some kind of reasonable work that does not interfere with your caring responsibilities.

I have heard that Jobcentre plus are intimating that Income Support will stop if carers dont look hard enough, which as we all know is nonsense.
Yes : some do make up their own rules

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Agreed. A well written letter explaining the actual circumstances and extent of disability/caring responsibility should be enough to hold off on any further WFIs as is reasonable.