× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Making a complaint in writing to the DWP

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1961

Cross-referencing the discussion on DWP Wolverhampton Post Codes -

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/6818/P15/

- has anyone any views on the following:

I understand that DWP surveys have revealed that customers prefer to use the telephone and that the complaints service has been amended accordingly, but it seems to me that if one wishes to make a complaint by any means other than by telephone, one will have a hard time of it.

I can find no guide to complaints other than what is on gov.uk, and that provides no addresses, no email, just phone numbers.

I’m aware there’s ICE and there’s the Director General of Operations of DWP, who is featured on gov.uk but it’s a potted biog and no more – no contact details.

I understand that even if a written complaint is received, DWP guidance encourages staff to resolve the matter by telephone.

What about people who can’t use the phone, and who haven’t got internet access to view the gov.uk pages?

What if the complaint is about rudeness of staff – over the phone? How confident will they be to contact JC+ by phone in order to complain?

The DWP’s Customer Charter promises ‘Easy Access’ – is this really it?

Surrey Adviser
forum member

Benefits and debt adviser - Esher CAB, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 222

What was it I heard on the radio this morning - something about the latest generation (i.e. today’s young children) being far better communicators than older generations.  All because they know how to text, apparently!  What a load of .....(add your own expletive!)

The whole situation is becoming somewhat Kafkaesque to my mind.  What you describe is not limited to DWP - or for that matter to Govt. organisations.  I frequently have to try to contact people in commercial outfits (mainly very large public companies) & it is often a nightmare trying to find out how to do it.  Websites are likely to be of little use - even finding phone numbers for a specific individual or unit can be impossible.  In my experience some mobile phone companies (a business which lives by communication) are among the worst.

Sorry - this is really off the point of your post, but I feel the issue you raise is much more general so its maybe worth my having a rant about it.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

Fair enuff!!!

It is true that as means of access to information and communication proliferate, somehow their uses become restricted by people who nevertheless boast of their openness.

[ Edited: 8 Aug 2014 at 11:39 am by Andrew Dutton ]
Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

Found this - http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@benefits/documents/digitalasset/dg_202270.pdf

It’s on gov.uk but the link is directgov and it is not available via any part of the ‘complaints’ stuff, it’s 2 years old and still refers to direct.gov.uk

Time for a query or two to Caxton House.

Correction - it is NOT on gov.uk - it can’t be found by searching the site.

Avid DWP readers of rightsnet - what is going on, dear chaps?

[ Edited: 8 Aug 2014 at 09:58 am by Andrew Dutton ]
Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

This FOI request implies that this DWP032 DWP Service Standards leaflet has now replaced the document that you have linked to.

Otherwise, the only information I can find is Complaints procedure and as you note, is quite explicit in stating “Jobcentre Plus will try to resolve the issue over the phone”.

Whenever I’ve had cause to make complaints in the past (which sadly has been frequently), I would usually ask whoever called me back to confirm their response in writing, and usually, this request was agreed to and implemented.

It is worth stating though, that appropriate use of complaints when problems arose with the administration of claims, in particular sticking COMPLAINT in 24 point type at the top of the letter, did generally assist in bringing about swift resolution from DWP. Whereas with HMRC, you generally end up with a still unresolved problem and also making complaints about the poor complaint handling as well.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Customers “prefer” to use the phone do they?

Hmm, sounds similar to the research that made the argument for a phone based Pension Service some years back. I recall that the “research” which underpinned this involved a grand total of 130 people, not all older people, and, some interviewed on the phone thus instantly introducing a bias which was not addressed.

The reality here is that a solution is designed to problems no-one identified and then the customer feedback designed in such a way as to ensure the “conclusion” is supported. That is then pushed out to the media and it’s good news all round. “Hey, look everybody, we’re adapting to the modern world.”

So, what’s the statistically valid basis for this particular comedy then?

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

Paul - thanks for the updated leaflet - interesting that there is no link to it from the obvious place, the ‘complaints’ section on gov.uk, as far as my admittedly unreliable eyes can see.

There are interesting changes, that is cuts, so that Stage 3 of the complaints system, with an actual address to write to, has gone, as has a feedback form (which could have been used as - a complaints form!) - and which asked in which format the ‘customer’ would prefer a reply.

Mike - yes, I too suspect that the research was ‘nudged’ to get what DWP wanted. They like nudging. Can’t prove it, but there we go.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

I wonder where a written complaint sent to local JCP office (physical address) would end up?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

tbidmead - 08 August 2014 12:49 PM

I wonder where a written complaint sent to local JCP office (physical address) would end up?

The bin.

Or returned to sender several weeks later if the latest missive about Wolverhampton is anything to go by.

Ben E Fitz
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker, Manchester CAB Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 162

I find referring the matter to the local MP tends to get results within a week or two. Far more effective then writing to the DWP/Jobcentre Plus, who will deny receiving the letter or reply with a well chosen, cut and paste, anodyne response denying responsibility for anything.

juliedbradford
forum member

Bradford CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 3

The biggest problem is that in order to take a complaint to the next tier - the independent complaints examiner one first needs a response from the DWP.  Given that they provide a response if they do by telephone - how can one then go to the next tier?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

sorry - only just seen this thread as I was away when it started. The lack of information about how to raise a complaint is something we raised at Operational Stakeholders and they are supposed to be revising the website with useful things such as telephone numbers and addresses. I will ask for an update at the next operational stakeholders - 24 Sept.

AndreaM
forum member

Debt team - Citizens Advice Southwark

Send message

Total Posts: 123

I am glad I came across this thread.  I had made a written complaint recently (without the mandatory phone call) and although I was not that surprised about not getting a response at least now I know for sure that I will not get one.

I am unlikely to even get through to the DWP during the time I have my clients in the office, and, as someone pointed out above, even I managed to make the phone call, how would I proceed to the next stage?

Was thinking of going through MP, but is he not going to say complaints procedure needs to be followed, too? 

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

It’s worth a go - it depends upon the MP. One has just told a client of mine “I can’t change the rules overnight” which was tons of help….code for “I shall do nowt.”

DWP do boast a standard of replying within 10 working days (or 15 for complaints) but I think they still try to do the reply by phone.

If the MP is a good, active one, s/he may cut through the delay and hold them to their ‘standards’?

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

I shall leap to the defence of DWP. In most cases, I have received responses from my complaints. Especially The Pension Service, which is very on the ball, especially in vulnerable cases.

The responses are not always positive, but writing “complaint” in the subject line seems to do the trick. “Urgent complaint” even more so.

Bryan R
forum member

Folkestone Welfare Union

Send message

Total Posts: 233

I find that contacting these people generally works very quickly. What is we say s**t travels more quickly downwards

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) Director General, Operations DWP, responsible for

DWP (Department for Work and Pensions, Child Support Agency, CSA, CMEC, Jobcentre, Job Centre Plus, JobCentrePlus)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) Work Service Director DWP responsible for DWP

(Department for Work and Pensions, Child Support Agency, CSA, CMEC, Jobcentre, Job Centre Plus, JobCentrePlus)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) Director General, Universal Credit Programme [ Shiplee has gone now and been replaced - I forget by whom

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  Operations Manager DWP Pension Centre

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  Director General Benefits and Tax Credits

I find an email to these with the word complaint brings about very swift results Hope they help :-)