Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Timetable for change

1 2 > 

Leese
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker Manchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 16

Does anyone have a timetable for the implementation of Universal Credit? I can’t seem to find one anywhere. It has been suggested to me today that it is rolling out into some of the postcodes we deal with in Manchester (I know it’s already in Greater Manchester but it hasn’t gotten to me yet) and I am unable to find the info? I’m wondering if they are still forging ahead with this wonderful new benefit aimed at resolving all issues in the benefit despite problems with the ITY system?

Is here a timetable out there or is it something I’ll find out when the first client turns up asking me to challenge a decision?

Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance.

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

Leese - 18 March 2014 04:21 PM

Does anyone have a timetable for the implementation of Universal Credit? I can’t seem to find one anywhere. It has been suggested to me today that it is rolling out into some of the postcodes we deal with in Manchester (I know it’s already in Greater Manchester but it hasn’t gotten to me yet) and I am unable to find the info? I’m wondering if they are still forging ahead with this wonderful new benefit aimed at resolving all issues in the benefit despite problems with the ITY system?

Is here a timetable out there or is it something I’ll find out when the first client turns up asking me to challenge a decision?

Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance.

I’m not aware of any real public timetable for further geographical expansion of new claims (except the highly implausible claim that almost all claimants will be moved to UC by 2017 - you can see what rightsnet contributors think of that here: http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/6022/ ).

All we have is the ministerial statement ( http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmhansrd/cm131205/wmstext/131205m0001.htm#13120551000006 ) which actually commits to very little for this year and for 2015.

There are now roughly 4000 UC claimants - the majority in the North West - so it’s entirely possible that you may come across one or two if they move to your area.

The latest stats (to Dec 13) showed zero UC appeals.

Note that a handful of postcodes in the first UC pathfinder area (Ashton-under-Lyne) are actually within the Manchester City boundary ..

M43 6AH/S/T/U
M43 6BR/U/Y
M43 6JP
M43 6LX
M43 6TD/H

.. but I’ve no idea if this is intentional (and they may not even be residential codes).

If you’ve been given specific information about futher expansion let us know.

Martyn Broughton
forum member

Welfare Rights East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1

We been advised that the 10 pathfinder areas will move onto couples by the summer, families by autumn and then a full role out in the North West from April 2015.

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

that’s interesting, wonder whether they will use old or new IT system for april 2015 roll out.

ruthch
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights officer Tameside Welfare Rights Service Greater Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 59

There’s a bit of info in the DWP improvement plan (UC is on page 11), but it’s all a bit vague.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-departmental-improvement-plan-2014

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 1995

The DWP plan says:

“... Universal Credit will continue to expand. It is now live in seven areas across the country, growing to 10 by Spring 2014. From there, the live service will expand beyond the existing single claimant group, to progressively start to take new claims from couples in the Summer and families in the Autumn. Once safely tested in the live Universal Credit areas the service will be expanded to more area of the North West.
Current plans will see Universal Credit fully available in each part of Great Britain during 2016 having closed down new claims to the legacy benefits it replaces, such as Jobseeker’s Allowance and Income Support. The majority of the existing legacy benefit claimants will be moved over to Universal Credit during 2016 and 2017. Decisions on the later stages of Universal Credit roll out will also be informed by the development of the enhanced digital IT solution.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

new press release just issued ....

The expansion of the full Universal Credit benefit to the rest of the north west of England will start in June ...

... During the summer the new benefit will also be made available for new claims from couples in a number of jobcentres that already deliver the full Universal Credit, expanding to all the current live sites over time ..

Full details of the first Jobcentres outside the Pathfinder areas to start offering Universal Credit in the north west of England and the timetable for the expansion will be announced shortly.

We are currently in discussion with the following 12 local authorities to be at the forefront of this next stage of expansion:

- Salford City Council
  - Wirral Borough Council
  - Preston City Council
  - St Helens Borough Council
  - Cheshire East Council
  - Cheshire West and Chester Council
  - Trafford Borough Council
  - Bolton Borough Council
  - Bury Borough Council
  - South Ribble Borough Council
  - Sefton Borough Council
  - Knowsley Borough Council

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/universal-credit-first-year-of-welfare-transformation-and-north-west-next-steps

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Define “couple”!

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Er, two people without children, disabilities, housing costs, employment, capital or special circumstances, of course.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Mike Hughes - 30 April 2014 12:12 PM

Define “couple”!

Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow, a few months ago.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

nevip - 30 April 2014 12:59 PM

Define “couple”!

Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow, a few months ago.

Hmm, I suspect even “conscious uncoupling” won’t get you out of the lobster pot :)

Paul_Treloar
forum member

Welfare benefits caseworker, Mary Ward Legal Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 148

Define “couple”!

What I tell her indoors I’m going out for, when I nip out for a walk of an evening.

nevip
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar - 30 April 2014 01:48 PM

Define “couple”!

What I tell her indoors I’m going out for, when I nip out for a walk of an evening.

Where do you go, the Winchester club?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Define “couple”!

I fear we’re not taking this momentous moment in the history of welfare reform perhaps as seriously as we ought!

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Define “couple”!

You tell her you’re going ‘coupling’?

Paul_Treloar
forum member

Welfare benefits caseworker, Mary Ward Legal Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 148

Gareth Morgan - 30 April 2014 02:03 PM

“a couple” is a greater measure than “a quick one” of course. it’s kind of a signifier of timescales (and quantities possibly).

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar - 30 April 2014 02:06 PM

“a couple” is a greater measure than “a quick one” of course. it’s kind of a signifier of timescales (and quantities possibly).

Ah, so they didn’t mean “couples”. They meant “a couple of others”.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Mike Hughes - 30 April 2014 02:19 PM
Paul_Treloar - 30 April 2014 02:06 PM

Ah, so they didn’t mean “couples”. They meant “a couple of others”.

Thats the actual number of additional real claimants likely to be involved in the “roll out” (as in a “roll in the hay” rather than “a quick one”?).

Anyway you lot ‘oop norf’ had bettter get back to your desks so you can tell us lot ‘dayn sowth’ how wonderful UC is when you’ve been “rolled over”!

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

LOL!!

I do love you lot. I’ve just spluttered coffee all over my laptop.

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

1964 - 01 May 2014 08:08 AM

LOL!!

Laptop? Luxury, we have to work 28 hrs a day wiv ‘ammer and chisel carving our casenotes on Cotswold stone tablets, drinking water with cupped hands from t’Isis etc etc!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Peter Turville - 01 May 2014 11:21 AM

LOL!!

Laptop? Luxury, we have to work 28 hrs a day wiv ‘ammer and chisel carving our casenotes on Cotswold stone tablets, drinking water with cupped hands from t’Isis etc etc!

I think we can be fairly confident you just failed to meet your Claimant Commitment right there.

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

[/quote]

I think we can be fairly confident you just failed to meet your Claimant Commitment right there. [/quote]

Its a well known fact that many advice workers have a problem with commitment!

nevip
forum member

Send message

“Its a well known fact that many advice workers have a problem with commitment”!

I’ve never even seen the film.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

nevip - 01 May 2014 12:00 PM

“Its a well known fact that many advice workers have a problem with commitment”!

I’ve never even seen the film.

I believe it features some migrants who don’t want a real job and instead indulge in anti-social behaviour. Something like that :)

nevip
forum member

Send message

Was that nice man Nigel Farage in it?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Peter Turville - 01 May 2014 11:21 AM

LOL!!

Tablets by crikey! We’re still etching our notes onto XP desks with our fingernails. You don’t know you’ve lived.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

nevip - 01 May 2014 12:04 PM

Was he the bloke who sang “Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa”. I believe he opens his set with “Love Thy Neighbour”!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Gareth Morgan - 30 April 2014 12:21 PM

Er, two people without children, disabilities, housing costs, employment, capital or special circumstances, of course.

Have just realised this means “pensioners” doesn’t it :)

So, couples = no-one. Not even “a couple”.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Mike Hughes - 01 May 2014 12:07 PM
nevip - 01 May 2014 12:04 PM

Was he the bloke who sang “Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa”. I believe he opens his set with “Love Thy Neighbour”!

Stop it! I’ve just done the same with me cuppa-soup!

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

Note that the latest UC transitional regs - see news story - includes power that allow DWP to stop taking on new claims for UC (even in the existing pilot areas) with effect from 16 June.

Is that the same June in which ‘further expansion of UC is due to start in other parts of the NW’? see #6 above

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Peter Turville - 15 May 2014 02:25 PM

Note that the latest UC transitional regs - see news story - includes power that allow DWP to stop taking on new claims for UC (even in the existing pilot areas) with effect from 16 June.

Is that the same June in which ‘further expansion of UC is due to start in other parts of the NW’? see #6 above

Maybe they’ve privatised it and someone else will be taking on the claims.