Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Managed migration won’t start until November 2020

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

Just received a letter (attached) from Neil Couling that says -

You will also be aware that the final phase of the Universal Credit Programme, after a period of piloting, is scheduled to begin in November 2020

That seems to be put back yet further…which means even more will naturally migrate with no transitional protection

File Attachments

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1961

Hi Daphne - I can’t open this pdf, can you help?

A moment before in saw your post I was checking the parliamentary calendar for any sign of the Managed Migration Regs being debated - there is nothing before the recess, as far as I can see.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

Got it now, sorry.

andyrichards
forum member

City services - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 204

Reading between the lines, I think Mr Couling is envisaging a scenario in which managed migration never happens, or at least gets kicked so far down the road there’ll only be…like…a couple of thousand people left!  I can see certain benefits from the government’s point of view in letting it just roll out as people’s circumstances change , as against huge risks involved in trying to move people over.  Just me speculating.

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

andyrichards - 13 December 2018 05:06 PM

Reading between the lines, I think Mr Couling is envisaging a scenario in which managed migration never happens, or at least gets kicked so far down the road there’ll only be…like…a couple of thousand people left!  I can see certain benefits from the government’s point of view in letting it just roll out as people’s circumstances change , as against huge risks involved in trying to move people over.  Just me speculating.

... like nobody getting any transitional protection, for example? They would love that.

But on the other hand, “managed migration” is quite misleading because it sounds as though they are helping people to go from one benefit to another. In housing terms it’s the difference between rehousing somebody and just evicting them. “Managed migration, my *rse,” as Jim Royle would put it.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

And now, according to the latest Twitter stuff popping up on the Rightsnet front page,  Nov 2020 isn’t a delay at all, it’s what they decided at the time of the budget changes.

Decided and just didn’t tell anyone?

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 890

Perhaps Neil Couling is just confirmed the timetable from leaked documents to the BBC in October.
Budget policy costings (page 9) published two weeks later still had a September 2020 date.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

I recently made a FoI request for information regarding the financial impact of the delay. It was refused for a second time today. I’m wondering if anyone thinks there is any point in attempting to take this further?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/budget_2018_universal_credit_rol