Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Disabled students and UC

Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 230

Hi,

I’m hoping to get some feedback on advisers’ experience of disabled students being awarded universal credit.

A disabled full time student is eligible for ESA if they receive DLA or PIP. They are “treated as having a limited capability for work” on this basis. They only need to have a work capability assessment at all to see if they should be in the support group (and so receive a higher amount of ESA).

But we have recently confirmed that under UC that a disabled student cannot – except in very limited circumstances – be treated as having a limited capability for work.

Around a year ago we were informed by the DWP that a disabled full time student could be awarded UC if they were receiving DLA or PIP and were submitting med certs. They would be treated as having a limited capability for work on this basis and awarded UC before having a WCA.

However, we’ve now been told that, in practical terms, most disabled students will need to pass a WCA before they can be awarded UC.

I’ve attached a fuller note on the above together with the DWP’s conflicting advice.

File Attachments

Nan
forum member

Generalist team - Hammersmith & Fulham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 155

Thanks a lot for sharing this. I have always worried about this- as the UC stuff regarding this was vague to say the least.

I don’t understand why they can’t just use the rules they used under ESA.