to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Slow DWP post?

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

I am seeing regular occurrences of DWP correspondence, particularly PIP forms and decision letters, arriving a long time after the date they are claimed to have been sent. I know second class post isn’t great but 7-10 days seems to stretch credibility.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

That’s been an issue here; especially with PIP, for a long time.

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

A client told me yesterday that, when she rang to ask for an extension to the time limit for returning a PIP2, she was told that there is a massive problem with the post, and all cases are being given a 31 day extension anyway. Whether that is true or not, I have no idea, but that is what she was told

Uphill Struggle
forum member

Community Advice Team, Falkirk Council

Send message

Total Posts: 23

Brian JB - 22 March 2017 05:29 PM

A client told me yesterday that, when she rang to ask for an extension to the time limit for returning a PIP2, she was told that there is a massive problem with the post, and all cases are being given a 31 day extension anyway. Whether that is true or not, I have no idea, but that is what she was told

I was told the same thing on Monday, appears to be a real thing…this week, anyway!

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

I heard something similar last week (2nd hand), perhaps applying to a post snafu at Wolverhampton generally, not just PIP.

And yes, I concur that PIP letters usually arrive about 7 days after the date on the letter.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

I would interpret this reply from the DWP as falling short of definitely guaranteeing that letters must be posted on the day they’re dated:

It is normal procedure within the department that letters are posted on the same day they are dated.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/429982/response/1041453/attach/html/2/FoI 3699 reply.pdf.html