to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC Customer losing income

Gail Knight
forum member

Welfare rights - Halton Council

Send message

Total Posts: 103

Is anyone in the powers that be aware of or taking forward the substantial loss of income incurring when customers are failing ESA LCW having to claim UC winning their appeal with the loss of SDP.

Similarly a customer who moves address needs to claim UC and loses SDP

I am certain powers that be MP etc think these types of claimants will be transitionally protected and may not be aware that people are losing significant amounts of benefit through no fault of their own.

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 365

I’m sure you’re right Gail that many MPs would not be aware that there is as yet no transitional protection for people claiming UC, and that this will only apply once managed migration starts.

So it’s well worth while any affected clients taking the problem to their MPs to alert them! Without a critical mass of constituents bringing this up MPs are unlikely to engage with the issue. It is too easy for the government to make blanket statements about transitional protection when in fact most claimants will end up on UC via a change of circumstances.

Gail Knight
forum member

Welfare rights - Halton Council

Send message

Total Posts: 103

After my advice one of my customers approached her MP due to the loss of her SDP after having to claim UC due to a failed WCA, subsequent win of the appeal and significant income loss her MP has raised the issue with Andrew Rhodes Director General of DWP operations