Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Contribution Conditions for CBESA

AlexJ
forum member

Trafford Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 179

Hello

I have a client who hasn’t worked for many years, however she has been claiming carer’s allowance for several years (around 5).

Will the CA contributions be sufficient for her to qualify for CBESA? She did work full-time back in the mists of time, which may be of relevance. My brain is a little scrambled on this one.

Thanks

Alex

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

CPAG P.961 states that CA credits “can help you meet the contribution conditions for all contributory benefits, except bereavement payment.” Don’t know why it says “can help” rather than something more definite, maybe because it depends on the length of time they are credited for?

Also this http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/5297/ which is quite old but discusses the same issue.

paulmoorhouse
forum member

Central and South Sussex CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

There are two conditions you have to satisfy and CA credits,  WILL satisfy the second condition, that you have paid OR BEEN CREDITTED with 50 x the lower earnings limit in each of last two years. BUT NOT the first condition which is that you must also have ACTUALLY PAID contributions on 25 x the LEL in at least one of the last three years. Hence the ‘can help’ and unfortunately you client doesn’t seem to qualify.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Paying NI in one of the prior 3 years is the general rule, but as per the previous thread: if receiving CA in the tax year prior to claiming ESA, then ANY previous year with sufficient NI contributions can be relied upon to satisy the first contribution condition.

See ESA reg 9(1) and (2)(a):
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/379/regulation/9/made

AlexJ’s client should make a claim (not much to lose, is there?)

paulmoorhouse
forum member

Central and South Sussex CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

Indeed, I stand corrected, my posting was made without clicking on the previous thread! Thanks for pointing out the omission Jon.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

Jon (CHDCA) - 16 March 2017 11:14 PM

Paying NI in one of the prior 3 years is the general rule, but as per the previous thread: if receiving CA in the tax year prior to claiming ESA, then ANY previous year with sufficient NI contributions can be relied upon to satisy the first contribution condition.

See ESA reg 9(1) and (2)(a):
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/379/regulation/9/made

AlexJ’s client should make a claim (not much to lose, is there?)

that’s what I was thinking.

I also think (though might be wrong) a previous year cant be one you used before in a claim?