Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP renewal for over 65’s

Charlotte R
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 25

Hi,
I have just been contacted by a former client who was awarded PIP standard daily living and standard mobility components at a tribunal in May 2015, he was 64 at the time and the award was until June 2017.

He has now received a letter telling him that his claim is due to end in June and if he wishes to reapply he needs to make a new claim.  He phoned PIP and was told as he is 66 he cannot make a new claim…

I called the PIP enquiry line to query this as in my view, he should be sent a renewal form.  Was told that it looks as though they have decided that his claim should end in June and therefore the only thing he can claim is attendance allowance as he is now over 65…

Surely this is incorrect and he should be able to renew his current claim, I understand that he will not be able to increase his mobility award from standard to enhanced.  I am awaiting a call back from PIP on this.

Has anybody else had experience of this?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Well its nonsense isn’t it? If you have the details of when and who he called, I’d suggest raising a complaint about this, because you can bet your bottom dollar that its not just your client being given patently incorrect advice.

Charlotte R
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 25

Thanks Paul, 
When someone from PIP called me back they stated that this was a ‘grey area’ (which clearly it shouldn’t be) and that he needs to call PIP claims back again and then a decision could be made as to whether they will accept it.  He was saying that it was because it was a short award (2 years) that this was happening…  I said I suspect that the computer will still say ‘no’ but have advised the client to try this again anyway.

I have sent in a complaint to PIP with ref to the regs and copied in his MP.  As you say, this must be affecting many claimants in this position, many of whom will end up claiming attendance allowance instead or not bother at all.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

I’m raising this via stakeholders too…

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

I contacted the operational stakeholder’s group about this and have just received a reply -

Thank you for raising this issue and bringing it to our attention.
The circumstances you have described should not be happening and we do take this issue very seriously.
If you could send through details of the claims made to Attendance Allowance that you think should have benefited from PIP linking rules we can look at these individual claims in more detail.

We have asked colleagues in the Operational Excellence Division to issue a bulletin to staff highlighting the guidance in this area.

If anyone does have any cases which have not been resolved do direct message/email me with details and I will forward them on along with your details to hopefully get it sorted.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Thanks Daphne.