Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

An extract from a PIP appeal submission that I am writing. I attended the Consultation and made my own notes which demonstrate how HCPs can subtly misrepresent what a claimant says:

• P.56 PA4 reports: “He says he feels very low in mood and when it strikes he does nothing at all and this could be twice a week.”

My notes: “Never normally 2 days when feel OK.”

• P.59 PA4 reports: “He will brush teeth mostly but sometimes does not bother”.

My notes: “May brush my teeth but most of the time don’t bother”

• P.60 Planning and Following Journeys, the PA4 reports that he will visit a friend who owns a pub “once or twice a month.” By P.73 this has become: “he will visit his friend in a pub twice a month.”

My notes: “Occasionally visit a friend who has a pub once per month”

• P.60 Moving Around, PA4 reports: “He says he parks outside the radio station and it takes 2 minutes to get in and out again”

My notes: “Park outside of door of radio station. Bang smack outside door. 10 paces.”

• P.65 PA4 reports: “He is able to drive a car once a week.” At P.76 “he will drive his car once a week alone to the supermarket”

My notes: “Sometimes don’t drive at all in a week. Depends on my mood…Keep extra food in in case can’t go out.”

• P.77 PA4 reports: “He states he can walk for 5-10 minutes and is able to walk round the supermarket once a week.”

My notes: “25 meters before stop 5-10 minutes…Basically don’t walk. Just supermarket – lean on trolley. Stop. Sit.”

Mr X is reporting that he can walk for about 25 meters before he has to stop and rest for 5-10 minutes. A completely different and misleading interpretation has been recorded by the HCP.

Most of the differences recorded above are quite subtle; however, they do put a different slant on the assessment and the reasons for its recommendations.