to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Withdrawing appeal over phone?

AndreaM
forum member

Debt team - Citizens Advice Southwark

Send message

Total Posts: 123

One of my clients wanted to withdraw a TC appeal.  He could not find his acknowledgment letter with the appeal reference number, so I phoned HMCTS with him to obtain the number so he could put in his withdrawl letter.
The clerk said that he could do this over the phone and she proceeded to take the request from him.
I did not know this was possible, I thought rule 17 of the FtT Rules prescribed that this had to be in writing?
Has anyone else withdrawn an appeal over the phone?

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

Yes, several. I assumed it had be in writing but helpline seemed happy to cancel

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

The procedure rules leave zero doubt - withdrawal must be in writing unless it takes place at a hearing.

However the SSCS1A guidance says that withdrawal over the phone will be accepted and, as you say, that’s in line with practice. There’s also the point that nobody is realistically going to make an issue out of it.

Where does that leave us? I dunno; I would still be sending withdrawals in by post myself.

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

The risks is unrepresented Appellants making a hasty decision to withdraw, especially if promoted by whoever they speak to on the phone.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

you could do a letter confirming the conversation and that the appeal is withdrawn, thus covering all bases.. good practice anyway

AndreaM
forum member

Debt team - Citizens Advice Southwark

Send message

Total Posts: 123

Thanks for all the responses. I feel uneasy about this phone procedure and will encourage my clients to withdraw appeals in writing, or at least follow Claire’s suggestion.
In the past, I had my clients write their own letters (or drafted a letter for them in their name, for the client to sign),  just to make it clear that it was their decision and not the CAB’s decision. I would not want any problems with a CAB initiated phone call if the client later changes their mind. 
I hope that HMCTS does not offer withdrawl as an option when appellants ring them up for something else.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

Further to my last, after digging around in the archives for something else, I found an old post from 2013 from Martin Williams who pointed out a practice statement from 2010 which specifically delegated a power to any tribunal employee to waive the requirement for notice to be in writing.

That practice statement has been withdrawn, but a new one was issued in 2014 which has the same effect (link: https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/practice-statement-sec-011014.pdf)

I had overlooked this when I responded but it does seem to mean that notice over the phone will be effective as long as the telephonist thinks it is appropriate to waive the requirement for it to be in writing.

Doesn’t change my view - it still seems sensible to put it in writing.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Elliot Kent - 15 February 2017 09:17 PM

Doesn’t change my view - it still seems sensible to put it in writing.

Why? Surely any need to confirm an appeal’s withdrawn is covered by the withdrawal notice sent out by HMCTS.