Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Capita and Appointee

Wensleyfoss
forum member

Disability Advice & Welfare Network

Send message

Total Posts: 61

Hi, I need some clarification please?
It is my understanding that if someone is a DWP Appointee the claimant does not need to attend a F2F PIP assessment. We had a recent Atos visit and this was confirmed by the manager who came to give the talk. It is also crystal clear in the DWP PIP Assessment Guide Para 2.15.17 or am I misinterpreting guidance? I did call other welfare rights advisors, who tell me I’m correct.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I called Capita yesterday to pass on this info for a client. I managed to get the most asinine individual on the other end of the phone. He told me they have an updated version, which contradicts me but not prepared to share it (mine is Sept 2016). He said so much more and was incredibly rude. I then called back (after seeking additional advice). I was told, “we don’t read stuff like that, we just do what the DWP tell us to do.” She suggested I call DWP, which I did, who clarified I was correct. Unfortunately, they are not prepared to contact Capita, but I can!!!!! Any suggestions please?

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 627

Raise an official complaint via the MP.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Information on raising a complaint with Capita about PIP assessments

http://www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/complaints.html

Neil
forum member

Debt & Benefits, Aster Communities

Send message

Total Posts: 96

As Benny said straight to your MP the Captia may be rude , but the DWP are lazy and trying to deny responsibilty

Wensleyfoss
forum member

Send message

Thanks, I have emailed the MP and emailed Dan.

Wensleyfoss
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 27 January 2017 09:40 AM

Information on raising a complaint with Capita about PIP assessments

http://www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/complaints.html

Paul, I have complained via that link at the time, thanks….not holding my breath.

[ Edited: 28 Jan 2017 at 08:33 am by Wensleyfoss ]
tarzier
forum member

The Regard Partnership, Kingston

Send message

Total Posts: 54

I raised a complaint, as they wanted to undertake a face to face assessment for a client who has severe autism, a learning disability and behavioural issues, we act as the Corporate Appointee.  The assessment was set to be in a centre well over and hours journey by car, each way. 

When I sent in the PIP2 form, I supplied extensive support plans which demonstrate the level of care and support the client needs on a daily basis as well as details of the client hospital consultant, as well as they have access to the client’s DLA records.  So really no need for a face to face assessment and not even following the guidelines when it comes to a Corporate Appointee.

So I had a phone call today, they agree that Capita should not have called the client in for a face to face assessment. They are going to investigate why initially it was decided for a face to face assessment and let me know their findings. 

However today I have had another face to face assessment from Capita for a different client who lives in Cardiff and the assessment in Swansea! 45 miles away.  So I have complained again and pointed again to the guidance as they have enough evidence to make a paper based decision. 

Trying to get any help or sense from the national number for Capita is nigh impossible. Just keep getting told to supply more medical evidence…..I don’t think so!