Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

DWP say majority of audited ESA and PIP assessments are deemed to be of ‘acceptable standard’

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 890

Responding to oral questions in the House of Commons yesterday, Penny Mordaunt, Minister for Disabled People, Health and Work said -

‘Over 93.5 per cent of assessments for personal independence payment and over 90 per cent of work capability assessments for ESA are deemed of acceptable quality through independent audit. Those that are not deemed acceptable are returned to the provider to be reworked. The Department closely monitors all elements of providers’ performance and holds those providers to account through their contracts.’

Not sure where these figures are from.

Also, when asked by Christina Rees if the DWP would consider introducing mandatory body-mounted cameras for assessors with a view to helping improve accuracy of assessments, she responded -

‘There are detailed improvement plans for both PIP and ESA. Another thing that is being considered is how assessments are recorded. If the hon. Lady wants to write to me with any specific suggestions, I will be very happy to look at them.’

https://goo.gl/XeieEs

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3127

Sorry - am I misreading this or does the Minister seem to be rather pleased that only a tenth of assessments are so poor as to be “unacceptable” and require re-working?

I’m not sure that would be viewed as an adequate “hit rate” in most professions…

An FOI would be interesting if anyone has time.

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

The source;

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/welfare-reform?keywords=independent+review&public;_timestamp[from]=&public;_timestamp[to]=

Not sure of the method of assessment for the purposes of assessing the assessors. Maybe someone could assess?

If the independent review excludes the claimant then the assessment of reports is just that - a review of the quality of the report and it’s contents itself.