Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Downloadable copies of JSA(1) and ESA(1) to claim new style benefits in full UC area

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Attached -

thanks to Glenys Harriman for the FOI request - http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/9904/P30/#49130

File Attachments

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 365

Thanks Daphne!

gov.uk continues to be very misleading on this. JSA pages say:

‘If you’re eligible for Universal Credit, you can call the Service Centre to apply for ‘new style JSA’.’

If you click on UC eligibility, you’ll find out (for example) that you can’t get UC if you have savings over £16,000. But of course, you could still be someone who should claim ‘new style JSA’ depending on where you are and all the other factors.

Some considerable (and increasing) underclaiming potential here! I know gov.uk changes at the slowest rate possible but can we ask again about getting this improved…?

If someone missed out due to this then it seems backdating provisions wouldn’t help because once under the UC system (even though not entitled to UC) information has to come from a DWP officer to enable backdating based on misinformation (reg 29 of UC (C&P) Regs). So the only route to compensation would be a complaint.

Den DANES
forum member

DIAL Lowestoft and Waveney

Send message

Total Posts: 110

I understand the ESA1 has to be sent with a DP Gen form which shows bank details and has the signature section. Is it possible for us to have a downloadable version of this too? And where should it be sent to. I was told it should go to a Belfast address recently?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

After a frantic amount of googling for a JSA1 a few weeks ago I walked into JCP and they were happy to give me one.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Will - Have you got the link for the gov.uk page you’re quoting from so I can raise it with them - I had a quick look but couldn’t find it - it’s not the new style JSA page.

DAB - I can ask about the DP Gen form but since it needed an FOI to get the other forms I’m not that hopeful… I will also ask about addresses to send it to

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

DAB - 29 December 2016 06:29 PM

I understand the ESA1 has to be sent with a DP Gen form which shows bank details and has the signature section. Is it possible for us to have a downloadable version of this too? And where should it be sent to. I was told it should go to a Belfast address recently?

In case it helps, attached is a scan of a DP Gen, which was supplied along with a UCJSA form.

File Attachments

• DP_Gen.pdf (File Size: 1092KB - Downloads: 6147)
Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Thanks Jon :)

Jacky Philipson
forum member

Housing and Benefits worker Manchester Mental Health Assertive Outreach Team

Send message

Total Posts: 48

Where does the ESA1 have to go to - can it just be dropped into a local JCP?
Thanks

dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 318

HI

Found out today that it is a Belfast address. It can be emailed (we are told)  mailto:esanewstyle.ucclaims@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

we have just sent some details via this address - unfortunately, the claim that JC had sent got lost but the adviser responded immediately and said to complete another form and scan to him at this address

(extract from email below) - hopefully this will prove to be the answer. Not sure if the email is for public use (but we weren’t told not to use it so ....)

” I will get it looked at right away for you

We do everything through the inbox/e-mails here – if ESA were to send it to us it goes through a mail handling site in Wolverhampton, they then scan it on to a system (DRS) which is the wrong system for UC New Style

It would be easier and quicker for the customer to send it to me here and I will get it done right away”

light at the end of the tunnel??

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

Thanks Dizzy!

dizzymare
forum member

Send message

no problem - just to add, I have emailed this address to confirm the process. The email is not for use by the public as it will not be secure so forms must be sent to this address by the JC (they will still need an apt at JC apparently) but at least we can try to make sure that all JC’s are aware of the address and how to send the claim forms (I know for a fact that ours are not and are sending forms to the wrong place)

I have also been told that once the claim is processed, they will need to call the usual ESA BDC number if they have any queries .

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

dizzymare - 17 January 2018 12:14 PM

The email is not for use by the public as it will not be secure

Will they be offended if we send them via GCSx I wonder?

dizzymare
forum member

Send message

I think they do need an apt at the JC - but it may be worth keeping a copy in case the form gets lost and then send it via GCSX (as you can see from the initial email, the operator there asked us to send the form ourselves so always worth a try)

forum member

Send message

Dan Manville - 18 January 2018 09:18 AM
dizzymare - 17 January 2018 12:14 PM

The email is not for use by the public as it will not be secure

Will they be offended if we send them via GCSx I wonder?

Oh gawd! I have actually sent an application via GCSx albeit for a client with an initial UC appointment on Monday who is actually taking the ESA1 (UC), the bank details form and med cert originals.

Long story, but client was advised to claim UC, saw us and we advised an arguable case for CESA new style….....and from once being a fairly straightforward process, it isn’t anymore….................

dizzymare
forum member

Send message

if he has apt, im guessing all will be fine (and I guess if someone has had the run around, we are quite justified in sending form through a secure channel) well, I will do so anyway ...

forum member

Send message

Must admit i feel the same!

John-Paul
forum member

First Contact - Welfare Rights, Angus Council, Forfar

Send message

Total Posts: 21

I had one “New Style” Conts ESA claim a month or two back (it was a special rules claim).

I called the UC helpline (Belfast Office) and was emailed the PDF forms, and was told they can only be emailed out to clients, they don’t post printed versions. I was then offered an appointment for the client to go to her local JCP for verification and claimant commitment, in the same phone call.

After much argument, debate and general frustration I was able to attend the JCP on the client’s behalf to hand in the paperwork and have the DS1500 checked. However despite handing in the ID requested, I was told they would still need to make an appointment with her to verify who she was and to sign a claimant commitment. I complained vehemently about this and eventually the claim was processed without the need for her to meet anyone. I got the impression throughout of DWP staff making it up as they went along.

To cut a long story short it was an utter shambles. What used to be an extremely straightforward claim (Conts ESA with DS1500) is now an obstacle course of numerous phone calls, emails and navigating some absolutely stunning incompetence from staff who either don’t know the rules, or can’t work out which system to find information on.