Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Tribunal ‘Registrar’ role created to carry out all decisions that a judge may make except ‘substantive final decisions’ 

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Is this another layer of this ever expanding onion? If you disagree with the decision of the registrar, you have 14 days to request it be reconsidered by a judge. Are they hoping people will run out of time or they will just give up out of sheer exhaustion?

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

they’re doing the same in real court!  so don’t take it personally.  the idea is to make it more efficient; not sure if it does….

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

There have been registrars for ages haven’t there? Locally, I’m told they are re-deployed magistrate’s clerks - so fairly well qualified lawyers.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Elliot Kent - 02 December 2016 04:05 PM

There have been registrars for ages haven’t there? Locally, I’m told they are re-deployed magistrate’s clerks - so fairly well qualified lawyers.

So what are the savings then?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Phil R - 02 December 2016 04:20 PM
Elliot Kent - 02 December 2016 04:05 PM

So what are the savings then?

MC clerk salary - £43k tops
DTJ starting salary - £102,564

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

There have been Registrars in the upper-tier tribunal for a long time. It has even been possible to speak to them direct on occassion to resolve administartive issues / Directions etc quickly to everyones advantage.

They may also issue Directions at an early stage in a case. So I assume that in some cases at least they make an initial consideration of the legal issues and issue Directions to progress proceedings.

I can’t see any issues about Registrars having similar responsibilities in the FtT. It may even speed things up (for example require DWP/HMRC to address inadiquacies in their submissions at a much earlier stage)?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

I’ve always had good experiences with registrars. They deal with a lot of the mundane requests regarding time extensions, postponed hearings etc. Complex cases usually trigger registrar involvement and you then get registrar directions at an early stage explaining how long the case will be listed for, who must be on the panel, how long everyone has to reply etc.

I’ve never known a registrar make directions on a point of any real controversy. They still get sent straight to the judges.